The Green TableWho has it in rep these days?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 04:24 AM

I stand corrected, Ball in Old Vienna is the final title of an antiwar work that had a working title of Vienna 1815. At the final moment, everything breaks up with people rushing off in panic, as (we have to learn from the program notes) the news that Napoleon has escaped from Elba - the "Old Vienna" is the Vienna of the Congress.

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:00 PM

By the way, there's a brief clip of young Pina Bausch as the grieving Mother in the Green Table that is NOT TO BE BELIEVED, she will take your breath away, somewhere in htat Dance of hte Century series -- it's worth combing through to find it, one of hte greatest performances of anything I've ever seen -- just a few seconds really, but visionary........ and it makes you understand a GREAT deal about Pina Bausch......

If this is the one I'm thinking of, there's a tape of the whole piece in the NYPL dance collection. Old, black and white stuff from when Bausch was a student of Jooss at the Folkwang Schule. Despite the image quality, it is indeed a fabulous tape.

I just wish someone would do it live, so we could see it and stop thinking for a minute about videotape!

#18 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:09 PM

maybe mel remembers this? i remember seeing joffrey on a tour, in chicago years ago, seeing the green table and seeing kurt jooss take a bow, my mind tells me it had something to do with something like a 90th birthday?

#19 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:16 PM

That was before my time with the company, say 1967(?), but I recall Mr. Jooss being "about" in the Joffrey studios about that time. He never made it to ninety; I think he died in 1979 at 78.

#20 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 08:00 PM

shouldn't someone be shooting Markard setting Jooss works, the way the Balanchine Foundation has been doing for his work.  Speaking of which, why isn't the Tudor estate doing the same?

Well, if you can point out one legitimate offspring of either Balanchine or Tudor, you might have an equivalent situation there....

#21 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:45 PM

Would you draw parallels to Fokine?

(By the way, I'm not saying the tapes would need to be released -- presumably that would be Markard's control -- just that they should be made while it's still possible).

#22 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 04:31 AM

The Fokine Estate is a far more complex situation, as it was not Vitale Fokine who had the choreography made copyright, but his widow, and their two children. Jooss was enforcing his own copyright during his own lifetime.

#23 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 06:11 AM

Great news for the French audience (and for those who can get the French-German TV channel ARTE): they will show three works by Kurt Joos on Sunday March 28, at 8:15 PM!!
:D :grinning: :wink:

Unfortunately it won't include "The Green Table", but there will be "Pavane for a dead infant", and "The Great City", performed by the Ballet du Rhin in Mulhouse (staged by Anna Markard) and "A ball in old Vienna" filmed in 1935.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):