This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The NYCB orchestra -- "horrible" to "passable"?

Herman, I think the problem you mention is linked to one of the central problems in ballet today -- no new scores! In the early to mid 20th century, going to the ballet meant hearing (and playing) new music, but composers aren't writing music for dancing. That said, being bored isn't an excuse for being unprofessional. We had a musician address this question the first year the site was up, and I liked his analogy: If you're a plumber, you don't complain that the kitchen is tacky: you fix the sink. I once watched an orchestra rehearsal in Copenhagen where the musicians showed their contempt for the score for one of Bournonville's ballets in every way that they could, and I did not feel sorry for them in the least.

On the Balanchine book -- I agree. There are two, of course (the Taper and the Buckle) but it would be nice to have a new one, and not a "quickie." The real publication date for Arlene Croce's book remains a mystery. I'm assuming that will be a biography of the ballets more than of the man, though.

And while we're at it -- to lurch completely off-topic -- a biography of Petipa would be nice. There are some -- one in German, I think, and at least one in Russian -- but none in English.