This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mixed ProgrammeAgon/ Prodigal Son/ Symphony in C

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 05:16 AM

I think Romeo is going to be a real make-or-break test for Watson - even apart from his technique, the stamina and partnering skills it needs are of a different order from anything he's tried before. I've always thought he had an outstanding if extrememly idiosyncratic talent (I first saw him almost exactly 10 yearrs ago, when he was still at school - he surely can't be 30, Simon?) and I was constantly astonished that Anthony Dowell left him for something like 5 years in the lower ranks of the company without giving him anything to do. I personally think he's amazing in things like the recent Wayne McGregor piece, but whether there's enough in the repertoire for him we'll know better after his Romeo. (Incidentally I'm not at all sure that it's a good idea to put him on with a new Juliet, Lauren Cuthbertson - unless they're going to strike sparks off one another and become the next great partnership I'd have thought they'd both be better making their debuts with a more experienced partner.)

#17 rebekah

rebekah

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 03:46 AM

I am really looking forward to the Watson/Cuthbertson Romeo and Juliet-I have my fingers crossed that it will be a night to remember! (Jane, I think he is about the 30yr old mark-eek!)

As for the Mixed Bill, I have only managed to see the rehearsal but it was still pretty good. I enjoyed Agon until I saw Symphony in C which I enjoyed so much more. I thought that there was real sparkle to some of the performances, especially Isabel McMeekan and Deidre Chapman.

I really loved The Prodigal Son, but I agree with you, Simon, about Carlos. I find his personality comes through too much in a role, I can't seem to get away from seeing Carlos on stage rather than the character he is playing.
That said, he does have a fabulous jump and I thought he and Sylvie worked well together. She was in excellent form. Has anyone seen the other cast for this with Zenaida Yanowsky/Ivan Putrov- it's not a partnership that I can see working, especially that lift with the Siren holding the Son with her thighs?

Rebekah xx

#18 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 04:25 AM

I saw the second cast last night - the Putrov/Yanowsky pairing did give rise to a few giggles: I thought Acosta/Yanowsky and Putrov/Guillem would have worked better than the other way round.

Star of the show, I thought, was Yoshida in the first movement of Symphony in C. Cuthbertson was noticeably better than last week - her musicality is starting to show and there were some really lovely moments.

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:37 AM

Yoshida -- now there's a name I haven't read lately. She disappeared from the cast lists (at least the ones I read) during The Stretton Hour; glad she stuck around.

#20 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:46 AM

Yoshida is having an excellent season - after some years of partial eclipse she seems to have re-emerged in 'senior ballerina' mode. Both here and in Cinderella she has an air of someone showing all these young things how it should be done - not explicit in any way, just a feeling that she's totally in command and can make her point with a wonderful economy of effort. I haven't seen her in such good form since she was a girl and zipped through Theme and Variations as if it were no trouble at all.

#21 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 09:03 PM

I just HAD to pop in here when Yoshida was mentioned. She has not been a favorite of mine but I saw her in "Giselle" Friday (yup, I was in London. 5 nights of ballet!) and was truly impressed. Saw Cojocaru the night before, and although Act II belongs to Cojocaru I actually enjoyed Yoshida's Act I more. She nailed her final solo!

Maybe more later; I have terminal jet lag.
Giannina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):