54 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,301 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:42 AM

Link is from the NY Times (registration required). Some surprises here, but I see no genuine threats to ROTK. And Cold Mountain gets the cold shoulder:

http://www.nytimes.c...27CND-OSCA.html

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,301 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:53 AM

A bare-bones list, no registration required:

http://apnews.excite...=home&SEC=high1

#3 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:57 PM

Interesting to see so many nominations for "City of God" (although it was not nominated in the foreign film category... is there a reason why it could not be?). I've seen it twice and think it's an excellent film. But I was just surprised as it's not exactly typical Oscar fare... it's strange to see it in the same category as the Lord of the Rings in many instances!
Glad to see the "Les Invasions Barbares" got 2 nominations.
I've heard that "the Triplets of Belleville" is amazing. It opened in Toronto last weekend and I'm excited to see it soon! But I doubt that it will win for best animated feature with "Finding Nemo"'s huge success.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,301 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 03:32 PM

I haven't seen City of God yet -- I hope to do so.

Regarding Triplets versus Finding Nemo, I have to say I thought they were both equally good in their different ways -- a rare case of the popular big studio release being just as good as the smaller scale foreign one. In fact, I preferred Nemo. But either one would be an acceptable winner, I think.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,301 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 01:32 PM

I see by the papers today that "City of God" will be put into wider release, as a direct result of the Oscar nominations. Oscar glitz has its drawbacks, but one good thing about them is that sometimes pictures with no chance of getting lots of exposure get more as a result of receiving nominations.

#6 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 01:48 PM

I found "The Triplets of Belleville" quite odd- some parts were very original, but the whole story was so dark, and many of the characters so totally ugly (for example all the cyclists) that I found it a bit hard to enjoy...

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,301 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:07 AM

It's an odd movie, no doubt about it.

Her performance has been largely ignored, but I thought Gwyneth Paltrow was excellent in "Sylvia" (a much better movie than I expected, also). The little girl in "Whale Rider" was good, but I have a problem with having adult actresses competing with thirteen year olds.

#8 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:38 PM

I loved "Whale Rider" and thought it was a really good, non Hollywood movie. The young girl did a great job as did a number of the other actors...but I understand your having a problem with her winning over someone twie her age...

The Oscars have always struck me as very unreal - certainly they don't usually reflect my view of who should win. :flowers:

I've not seen "City of God" nor several of the others who've been nominated.

How do the Oscars really work? Whose vote counts? Are there lobbyists in the movie world - my bet is that there are - if not by that name.

#9 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:32 PM

How do the Oscars really work?

Terrible. :flowers:

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,301 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 09:52 AM

BW, he'll be singing a different tune if Return of the King takes best picture. :flowers:

There is a lot of lobbying of Academy members that goes on, although it can backfire if it's too heavy handed.

#11 Funny Face

Funny Face

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:06 PM

Anyone see "Thirteen?" I'm curious about this one, given the history of how it was written. It's already in DVD.

Just a side note. How is it that some actresses manage to gain critical acclaim but cannot dress, stand and speak like grown women at awards ceremonies (or on Charlie Rose, or virtually any other venue)? Is this a world of talented puppets and parrots?

#12 Guest_Angel2Be_*

Guest_Angel2Be_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 30 January 2004 - 11:40 PM

I don't believe in the Oscars, but watch nevertheless. :wink:

My (personal) picks are Johnny Depp and Naomi Watts. As far as Best Picture goes, "Seabiscuit" was sweet but not even worthy of nomination, and I have this fear that it will win...

I saw Thirteen a few weeks ago and thought it was really well done, definitely the most realistic movie I've seen on the "dark" aspects of youth culture and growing up. (I was thirteen four years ago.) The girl who co-wrote the story is obviously intelligent, and she knew her subject first-hand. The acting felt true. As a whole, very sensory and disturbing...

#13 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 08:56 AM

I have to throw in some kudos for Sofia Coppola, for "LOST IN TRANSLATION" by far my favorite movie of the year.

I'm glad it's not a Miramax heavy year, hopefully proving at least some of the Oscar nods can't be bought.

I think the most interesting category will be the Best Male Actor, it should be neck and neck with Sean Penn and Bill Murray.

I think Charlize Theron will win for "MONSTER" but I liked Keaton a lot in "SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE"
Zellweger for supporting ( perhaps continuing the tradition of giving the Oscar the following year to the person who should have won it the previous")
and ROTK is a lock for director and picture.

A well rounded group of nominations though.

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,301 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:22 AM

Best Actor is usually the most competitive category, because there are more good roles for men in the movies that are likely to get nominations. I'd like to see Bill Murray get it. I didn't care for Penn in "Mystic River" he was good, but he's done better. But if the Academy wants to give him a body-of-work award, he certainly deserves it. It was an impossible dream, but I would have liked to see Chiwetel Ejiofor get a nod for "Dirty Pretty Things." I also was hoping that Cruise would be nominated and win for "The Last Samurai" -- not because he was so great, but it would have been fun to see Nicole have to present him with the award. Since this can't happen, my next wish is that Theron wins and gives Adrien Brody a big wet kiss -- only she's still made up as Aileen Wuornos......:P

Angel2Be, I wouldn't worry about Seabiscuit winning the movie, not the horse, that is. A very long shot. (I was disappointed that Gary Stevens wasn't nominated as Best Supporting Actor, though but that's another very competitive category.)
Calliope, good to hear from you. Do you really think that ROTK is a lock? I'd like to see it win, not so much for itself on its own but because the trilogy is a major achievement that deserves Academy acknowledgment. On the other hand, it's a fantasy film, and historically the Oscars have ignored fantasies. I think Lost in Translation could still be a contender. I'd hate to see Mystic River win, though.

Funny Face, "puppets" might be a bit harsh? Not all actors are very articulate, true. (And the Audrey Hepburns who have their own genuine sense of style are quite rare.) I admit I'm mean spirited enought to enjoy their burblings at the podium, although last year I imagine Virginia Woolf was turning in her grave at Nicole Kidman's incomprehensible acceptance speech. True, they're often overexcited for obvious reasons, but still.

#15 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:34 PM

Although I'm no Madam Cleo :P Here are my predictions:

Best Actor: Sean Penn

Best Actress: Diane Keaton, I adore her and just have a feeling she's going to get it.

Supporting Actress: Renee Zellweger

Supporting Actor: Tim Robbins and about time! He is such a subtle actor that I think his work gets overlooked in favor of more showy actors.

Best Picture : Return of the King and also Jackson for best director.

Sofia Coppola will get the best screenplay award for Lost in the Translation, more as a consolation prize for not winning best director even though it deserves to win on it's own merit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):