YAGP: Ballet Internationale

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 gracey

gracey

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:42 AM

my 10 year old is desperate to do this - but they don't expect them to dance the same choreography as a professional dancer would- do they??....I mean surely it would be to the same music but more age appropriate steps?

#17 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:21 AM

gracey I think you will find more information on this and other competitions on the other board...Ballet Talk for Dancers. [http://balletalert.c...orum/index.php]

Youth America Grand Prix and many of the other competitions recognized by the professional ballet community, do indeed require that the dancers perform the same choreography as the professional dancers. I am not familiar with the list of variations from which the dancers must choose at YAGP for each age group, but they are generally the same judges as many international competitions with the prizes in the form of a full scholarship to either a summer program or a year round program for the older students. These can vary from for example $1000.00-$20,000.00 if airfare, housing and a stipend are included or a contract to ABT Studio Co.

No school has enough money to just give away to dancers who are just good. They really do need to be exceptional.

As for your daughter's age group, IMHO, competitons include dancers this young to supplement the income of the competition. Competitions are expensive to run. Judges are flown in from all over the world, put up in hotels, fed and paid for their services. That is a lot of money changing hands. Students of this age group can wait until they are older to participate. I do judge a competition in Japan with many of the same judges as YAGP, the subject of age appropriate repertoire comes up quite often. We do try to alter the list so as not to have 10 year olds doing, for example, Black Swan, but we are judges not the organizers. We do not take the financial risks therefore, we do not set the rules. :shrug:

Edited by vrsfanatic, 18 May 2004 - 04:45 AM.

#18 kitrisomeday

kitrisomeday

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:14 AM

Quick question about YAGP:

What will Mr. Davis and Ms. Brown get for winning the top places? Scholarships? Contracts? I can't find this on their website.

I know that it is an honor to win the Prix, or the first place, but what else is rewarded?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):