This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Stars of the Danish Royal Ballet in Brooklyn

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 03:48 PM

I sympathize, Drew. In one way, as you said, it doesn't matter, but in another, it does. Especially if one admires a dancer, one doesn't want to spend ten years thinking that that person is someone he or she is not!

#17 Anna_onpointe

Anna_onpointe

• Inactive Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:39 PM

I saw the Royal Danish principals and soloists in Atlanta and was very impressed with the program. I was rather far back in the orchestra and in the Fox Theatre that is quite a distance, so, I, too, am not sure who danced Terpsichore in Apollo, but whoever it was was excellent. A very graceful, expressive and strong dancer. The program said it was Schandorff and if it was she lived up to expectations. With Hubbe as Apollo it may have been the strongest performance of the evening. Caroline Cavallo did dance the Sylph in a selection from that ballet and was simply beautiful. I saw Gudrun Bojesen in Washington and liked her very much but to me Cavallo matched both her grace and her style and seemed more expressive. The whole ensemble looked great in Napoli but to me Cavallo stood out with a smile that lit up the auditorium. Thomas Lund had an off night with difficulty in some turns and not much character. Iím not one who prefers modern ballet but Tim Rustonís pieces were very interesting. Diani Cuni looked the best I have seen her and the part suited her. Overall a surprisingly enjoyable evening with an appreciative audience who welcomed Cavallo back to Atlanta with bravos and some in the house calling out her name at the end. Thatís when I was sure it was she.

#18 aspirant

aspirant

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 04:34 PM

One of the most interesting parts of the event was watching the critics gather at the intermissions and manage to negotiate the program.

I have seen Rushton's Triplex performed recently by NDDT-New Danish Dance Theatre- and it is much more whimsical and off-center. The RDB seems to lack these qualities a bit, despite a sound technique (that keeps them a bit too far from the ground a times).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):