This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Great Male Dancers #2

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_shag_*

Guest_shag_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 23 June 1999 - 09:24 AM

What about Yanis Pikieris. While he spent the better part of his career in Europe, he was a founding member of Villela's Miami City Ballet as well as the first non-Russian to ever win the Moscow Dance Competition Gold Medal.

I've mentioned his name before, but I don't know if anyone here has ever heard of him. The dancer's of the 80's I have talked to put him right behind Misha.

shag

#17 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 June 1999 - 10:01 AM

It seems that nobody has mentioned here the several etoiles of Paris Opera Ballet who I think are among the greatest danseurs in the world today - Laurent Hilaire, Nicolas Le Riche, Manuel Legris. What star quality they all have, especially the first two.

#18 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 23 June 1999 - 10:24 AM

Kevin, of course I agree with you! Posted Image (But I'd put Legris as high as Le Riche, and even
higher than Hilaire). I'd also list Charles Jude (recently retired),
and among younger dancers, Jean-Guillaume Bart seems
very promising (and perhaps also Yann Bridard and
Herve Courtain).

#19 Guest_Tay_*

Guest_Tay_*

Posted 24 June 1999 - 11:42 AM

One of the best male dancers that I have seen perform is Patrick Armand. He belonged to the Boston Ballet for quite sometime and just left the company towards the end of this last season. He was fabulous in everything he did. You name it he was great in it.

#20 Lillian

Lillian

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 June 1999 - 02:05 PM

I agree about Armand. I was in class with him in France and I have never seen such a natural dancer. His turns are incredible. He stays up on demi-pointe at the end of six pirouettes. He looked so blasé in class. And talk about gorgeous - like a young Oliver Reed. This was in 1985, so he must have been quite young. I later saw him as Paris at the London Festival ballet's Romeo and Juliet. He was much better up close!

#21 Guest_Juliet Shore_*

Guest_Juliet Shore_*

Posted 24 June 1999 - 03:09 PM

Except that now he needs to do a little road work on those haunches.

Maybe age. Maybe whatever. But the technique was always amazing.

#22 Guest_Tay_*

Guest_Tay_*

Posted 24 June 1999 - 09:17 PM

You are not kidding about Armand's pirouettes. I had him as a teacher once at Boston Ballet's SDP. He was great. One of my friends hurt herself in his class and he felt that it was his fault. So he ran out after class and bought her a box of Godiva chocolates. He was so sweet. All that put aside he is an amazing dancer.

#23 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 June 1999 - 10:47 PM

Tay, if you are so keen about Patrick Armand, who is now a principal of English National Ballet (ENB), you should follow the company's performances in Britain. I saw a lot of his performances in London in the 1980s when he was with ENB before he joined Boston Ballet.

I last saw him perform Siegfried during the ENB's tour to Hong Kong, and was quite impressed. However I have always found his line too lumpy for my taste. I prefer a danseur noble with a purer line, such as those I have mentioned above.

#24 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 June 1999 - 01:22 PM

I've never seen Vladimir Malkhov perform live before, but he's supposed to be quite good. Has anyone here seen him?
Aleksander Antonijevic is a rising star in Canada. He can perform very difficult leaps and turns, but also has a really clean line & extension and overall technique. He's a leftie dancer, so in a lot of choreography he's been forced to do triple pirouettes and stuff on his 'bad' side, so he is now very strong on both sides.

#25 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 27 June 1999 - 03:36 AM

Is Patrick Armand a relative of the teacher and former dancer
Colette Armand?

#26 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 27 June 1999 - 12:26 PM

Malakhov is a very great dancer, and a great stylist. He works his roles out very carefully, and you get the feeling he always knows exactly who his character is, and what he should be doing, at any moment. It's a treat to watch him, not just for his technique and lovely line, but because of the many subtle and carefully realized details with which he'll reward the observant.

In some ways, he makes me think of a super-charged Ivan Nagy. (I guess I'm showing my age here...)

However, having said that, I must also admit that Malakhov's technique can be somewhat lacking in the truly difficult stuff. He sometimes reaches a level where, if he goes beyond it in difficulty, the poise and grace go away, however briefly. It's jarring, and, while on most onther dancers, Malahkov's slight lapses at the top end of the technical spectrum would still be quite an accomplishment, for Malakhov, well, I always find myself wishing he'd be so perfect through the entire spectrum of his technique.

#27 Lillian

Lillian

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 June 1999 - 09:51 PM

Estelle I believe that may be so. I remember hearing both his parents were dancers and teachers.

#28 Guest_Angela_*

Guest_Angela_*

Posted 28 June 1999 - 08:10 AM

I agree completely on Malakhov: if you have seen how perfect his dance be in some very precious moments, you get a feeling he is not always dancing to the full amount of his ability. Too often he seems tired or not concentrated. I think he has too many things on his mind, he is not able to concentrate long enough on a certain role or on a certain choreographer's technique. He visits here and there, always eager to learn but never really staying long enough.
But nevertheless: his lyrical quality is truly unique, so are his high, soft and incredibly slow jumps, his wonderful arms, the lightness of all his dancing. And he is a great dramatic dancer, too, for example as Romeo or as Armand in John Neumeiers "Lady of the Camelias".
Did you know he staged "La Bayadère" at the Vienna Opera House recently? But is was not so great, because the whole company is so terribly bad.

#29 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 June 1999 - 10:09 AM

Angela and Manhattnik, I agree that Malakhov is one of the greatest male dancers today. I was told that he is the favourite and highest paid guest star in Japan.

I can still remember my first viewing of Malakhov in London in the summer of 1988, when he danced Siegfried with the Moscow Classical Ballet of which he was then a member. He had such an effortless high jump. I saw his Siegfried again in 1990 when Moscow Classical returned to Sadler's Wells in London.

I saw relatively little of him in recent years. I saw him once with ABT in New York in 1996. Last year (1998), I saw him in "Giselle", "Etudes", and "La Sylphide" Act 2 with ABT. His Albrecht was most moving. I can still remember one highlight of his amazing virtuosity. In his Act 2 solo, it was unforgettable to see Malakhov, after each cabriole, land on the ground arching his body so far backward - I hadn't seen this step from any other danseur before.

I read in the Japanese monthly "Dance Magazine" that Malakhov is to dance Giselle with Alessandra Ferri in Tokyo in early Sept. However, since I don't know Japanese, I cannot figure out with which ballet company they are dancing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):