This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

oddly enough, although this ballet was closely linked to nureyev, he seems not to have been 'officially' filmed in it.

there are perhaps some archival/house-camera films in the royal ballet archives, but nothing, not even clips, to the best of my knowledge, has been released commercially. (tho' i could be forgetting something somewhere.)

Nureyev never danced the full version of "La Bayadere" in the West, but staged "The Shades" for the Royal Ballet soon after his defection. The general rehearsal with Margot Fonteyn as Nikiya was taped and is available to be seen in NY Library: it's huge dance collection is located in the building neigboring MET in the Lincoln Center. The tape is rather impressive, though some variations differ from the original version of the Kirov. Eigther Nureyev didn't remember well the female variations or tried to adapt them for Margot Fonteyn. At least that was my impression.