This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Recollections of Bernarda Alba

When I was quite young I saw Lawrence Rhodes and Alba Calzada in DAUGHTERS OF MOURNING by Jean-Paul Comelin. I was immediately enthralled by the harsh, sad story, THE HOUSE OF BERNARDA ALBA by Frederico Garcia Lorca.

I believe Glenn Tetley choreographed LAS HERMANAS for ABT and Alvin Ailey choreographed FEAST OF ASHES for Joffrey, again based on the Garcia Lorca play.

Do any BA members have recollections of these ballets that they would not mind sharing?

Glebb, I am familar with many ballets performed by L. Rhodes and A. Calzada together, while they were at PBC, but this one I unfortunately missed. Was this performance in the PBC Rep?They were indeed beautiful together. You were quite fortunate to have seen them. Part of the beauty of their performance was always their energy together.

Rhodes and Calzada guest performed with Thomas Armour's (nonprofessional) Miami Ballet.

Jean Paul Comelin who had a special relationship with The Miami Ballet, staged his DAUGHTERS OF MOURNING and Mr. Armour had the sets and costumes built. The rest of the cast was comprised of Miami Ballet dancers.

Thomas Armour's Miami Ballet also performed Comelin's FAREWELL starring Victoria Leigh.

I saw Feast of Ashes performed by the Harkness Ballet. The only dancer I recall is Brunilda Ruiz, as the youngest daughter. I suppose I remember her because she was very memorable! She had excellent dramatic abilities and a very expressive face that worked well in tragedy.