#31 Thalictum

Thalictum

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:15 AM

Alexandra, re: your Swan Lake review, the Big Swans seemed to be:
Gonchar, Tkhachenko, Iosifidi and Kondaurova.

#32 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 10:18 AM

Thanks -- I only use names in a review when I'm sure of them personally, or can checkwith a press person. I thought Kondaurova was one of them -- so I'm glad to know she was. She seemed more mature than last spring when she did Shades here (which I liked very much).

#33 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 03:07 PM

I really loved this production of Swan Lake. This was the first live production I've seen that included a jester. On tape I found him distracting (specifically in the Plisetskaya tape - is this the Grigorovich version?). Here, I thought he was entertaining and he helped move the plot along. I suppose it helped that Ivanovís dancing was so spectacular.

I also thought I would hate the happy ending, and I didn't. I agree that the music calls for a tragic ending, and dramatically it would make more sense. However, IMO, this "happy ending" was more dramatic and more tragic than most of the "double suicide, happy apotheosis" ending's I've seen in the past 10 or 15 years. I also prefer it to the Nureyev ending. Why? Because the choreography for the corps fit the music instead of fighting it, Odette had enough time & the proper choreography to express her sorrow and resignation, and then forgive Siegfried, only to be battered and pretty much defeated by Von Rothbart. Itís only at the very last moment that Siegfried saves the day. Even then, Odette looked stunned & drained as the curtain came down, almost as if she couldnít really believe that the spell had been broken.

I thought Gumerova & Solugob each had their strengths & weaknesses. Solugob had a beautiful sculptural quality to her dancing and Gumerova was very dramatic in act 4. Both were better than most ballerinas Iíve seen recently in the role, but neither was totally satisfying. Pavlenko was a different story - I absolutely LOVED her interpretation, from beginning to end. So much depends on your taste, and she is exactly the type of Odette that I like - her dancing is very expressive, her physique is small & delicate with a well proportioned body, an unbelievably pliant back & soft arms. I saw her twice. I loved her on Friday night but I thought her performance at Sundayís matinee was even better. Her dancing in the second act was seamless. Of course her footwork was wonderful but it was the way she used her torso, arms, shoulders,neck and head that really created the effect of one continuous flowing motion, a deep, long, desperate sigh. I have never seen a more fully realized expression of sorrow & despair in the second act adagio. I can't believe the Washington Times reviewer found her "cool & remote" - those are the last words I'd use to describe her! I thought her transformation as Odile was remarkable - her posture and facial expressions changed completely!

I also had a different take on Sarafanov from most of the other posters. I loved his "boy prince" portrayal and I thought he displayed a real commitment to the character. All three of the leading men were wonderful, but Sarafanov was the only one who I felt behaved like a Prince in terms of his deportment and interactions with his friends and courtiers.

All in all it was a great weekend for me, and I'm really glad I decided to make the trip!

#34 Thalictum

Thalictum

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:10 PM

Tatiana Serova, a soloist who rarely tours, was in Washington, but WHAT DID SHE DANCE?

#35 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:20 PM

Can't help, I'm afraid -- I've tossed my Nutcracker program. I didn't see her name in Swan Lake. But, as we've seen, the programs weren't very helpful.

#36 MYBkid

MYBkid

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:02 PM

Nope, didn't Tatyana Serova in the Nutcracker program either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):