17 replies to this topic

#16 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:13 AM

If you did ALL the material in all the schools at once, then the classes would be about three hours long, but that's why teachers were considered a valuable resource. They knew, and still know, the good ones in any school, how to edit a set class to fit the students.

But Bournonville's classes could and did run for three hours, as he tinkered with the combinations in order to keep from swamping the aspirants. And yes, he and Filippo Taglioni gave very long classes. There was a 1962 issue of Dance Perspectives in which Lillian Moore and Erik Bruhn explained Bournonville. The title was "Bournonville and Ballet Technique". I was fortunate to have been able to study with Ms. Moore at the Joffrey School, where she gave a lot of Bournonville material. The initial installation of Bournonville in the Joffrey repertoire like "William Tell Variations" and "Konservatoriet" came at her urging. Joffrey himself was trained by Mary Ann Wells, whose ballet training had come from Dame Adeline Genée, Danish in origin.

By the time of the "Golden Age" of the Imperial Ballet, Christian Johannsen and others had worked out a graded system of teaching, which sped up teaching considerably. Enrico Cecchetti further codified graded material.

#17 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:58 PM

:) Dear Mel,
Please dont take offence, but the guy's name is "Johansson", which is the proper Swedish spelling. Johansen would be Norwegian or Danish.
I will sort his name out. I have a copy of his birth certificate so I ought to know.
He was christened Pehr Christian. Here the mind boggles för a start... Pehr!!??
Normal spelling is simply Per. to this day - also name of my tenant and he is 50 something. Christian!? In those day normal people spelt it plain "Kristian". I, myself, is at a loss of this mode of spelling in 1817. I smell a rat...
Something weird and mysterious here, just judging by the spelling of first names.
Then, when J. went to Russia, he called himself Christian Petrovich Yoganson. Ok, that Petrovich thing would allude to his father (who was he?). In Russian, the Petrovich thing would mean that he is the son on Peter (or Pjotr).
I gave given up long time ago, we will never know the truth about this. But it is still Johansson and nothing else! With double "s"!!!

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

Forgive me, it was 7 in the morning when I posted that. I hadn't had my fifth cup of coffee yet.

(PS. to add that if Swedish was anything like English in 1817 and the skill of the registrars about the same as in America and Sweden, it's a miracle that the name made any sense at all - they were spelling phonetically, and sometimes, records can contain some of the worst spelling atrocities known to language!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):