This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2003 in Dance: Philadelphia

My favs of 2003 at PABallet......

* Matthew Neenan's "Le Travail" in conjunction with the Degas exhibition at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. His piece captured the mood of Degas's paintings. I thought this was an incredible blending of the arts. We took in the exhibit in the morning and went to the theatre

that evening. It was an amazing weekend. My friends drove in from Conneticutt in horrific weather and were thrilled to have made this trip. They were so impressed with PAB and loved the Degas exhibit.

* "Fancy Free", performed this October......great dancing, wonderful staging and new to their rep! I have seen it danced by ABT and NYCB and thought this production was as outstanding as these NYC companies and then some!

* "Concerto Barocco" also performed in October program and not new to their rep. A stirring performance from these dancers, both corps and principles. I was deeply moved.

Happy New Year to PABallet and all PABallet viewers!

I just recently started following Pennsylvania Ballet. The first ballet that I saw them perform was Dracula and I followed up with 5 performances of The Nutcracker. I am also an avid fan of NYCB, ABT and SFB and I am delighted that I can now add Pennsylvania Ballet to my list of favorite companies.

As for which ballets I preferred this season, I can only comment on the two mentioned above. Both Dracula and Nutcracker were delightful to watch and I can honestly say that I think the Pennsylvania Ballet's corps is one of the tightest groups that I have seen in quite sometime. They perform beautifully together and are a joy to watch. :wub: