About Gelsey Kirkland

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Juliet Shore_*

Guest_Juliet Shore_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 13 March 1999 - 01:50 PM

I also wish that she had been a little less unsparing of herself--at last we'd have more publicly-available videos! I have the "Theme & Variations" w/Baryshnikov on tape--it is a gruesome old copy, but she is still just the most impeccable performer...

I saw her live many times when she was still dancing...the expressiveness combined with the quicksilver technique was overwhelming. She has always been one of my favourite artists...my son was lucky enough to study with her several years ago and he said that she lived up to every high expectation which I had prepared him for!!

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,863 posts

Posted 16 March 1999 - 07:42 PM

In response to Lillian's remark about Baryshnikov, I don't doubt that he's a handful, but it seemed obvious that Kirkland was at that time in the habit of plunging headlong into affairs much too fast and then blaming the other party for failing to do likewise. It's unfortunate that her book was so exaggerated in many respects, since much of what she spoke of -- I'm thinking of the passages on the lack of good medical advice and the prevalence of eating disorders among dancers -- deserved more attention than they were getting at that time.

#18 Guest_Kerry White_*

Guest_Kerry White_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 17 March 1999 - 05:55 AM

I've never seen Gelsey Kirkland dance either, but remain fascinated by her, probably because of her two books. I've never found any videos of her performances either - when and where was The Nutcracker one filmed? I agree that her first book is superior to her second, much of which seemed to preach and look deeper into things for the sake of it without really getting anywhere. I don't know if anyone sees what I mean but it's hard to explain. I just wish I could have seen her dance though, as I love the way she thinks through things; and I'd love to see her teach, but seeing as she's based in America I doubt I'll ever be able to.

#19 pdance

pdance

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 March 1999 - 03:27 PM

Hey, guys! Does anyone know of any websites or e-mail addresses on Gelsey Kirkland? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Posted Image Thanks!

#20 pdance

pdance

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 March 1999 - 07:20 AM

Hello again. I just rented a copy of Dancing on my Grave. So far it's interesting, but I'm only on the third chapter. Anyway I'll let you know what I think of it when I'm done! Posted Image

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 24 March 1999 - 11:44 AM

I always thought that DANCING ON MY GRAVE would make a wonderful movie. Does anybody know if it was ever marketed to Hollywood? With so many "silly" made-for-TV movies of late about figure skaters who aren't half as interesting ("The Oksana Baiul Story" & "Tonya & Nancy" a couple of years ago; a new Michelle Kwan Story film in the works), I thought that Gelsey's story would be so much more gripping & marketable. - Jeannie

#22 pdance

pdance

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 March 1999 - 03:26 PM

Jeannie- I agree! It is very interesting. I also think that people would be more interested in getting the movie than the book. My three cents! Posted Image

#23 Steve Keeley

Steve Keeley

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 March 1999 - 09:27 PM

But who could they get to play Kirkland and Baryshnikov?

~Steve

#24 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 March 1999 - 09:44 PM

Anne Bancroft, Shirley MacClain, or Vanessa Redgrave of course Posted Image

#25 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 24 March 1999 - 10:43 PM

Great idea!

I think Vanessa Redgrave would be phenomenal as Baryshnikov.

#26 Olivier

Olivier

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 March 1999 - 12:16 AM

Great humour guys !!!

Unfortunately, I think Hollywood is probably auditioning a Monica right now !
I don't think Gelsey would even make the list of Hollywood's future projects...too bad !
But : "Go...Vanessa !!!"

#27 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 25 March 1999 - 09:55 AM

Gwyneth Paltrow is thin enough to play Gelsey...or how about that actress who plays Aly McBeal (forgot her name). For Baryshnikov...how about Rasta in pale make-up? Posted Image [I like the Vanessa idea, though.]

#28 Hollyberry

Hollyberry

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 1999 - 11:04 PM

Southern Ballet Theatre in Orlando has a wonderful summer program that Gelsey guest teaches at. She is wonderful. I had her this past summer there and I am having her again. Her classes are amazing. You can't help but have fun in her class. With her husband right along side her, she teaches a character like ballet class that steels the show. I had so much fun and I can't wait until this summer. Her combanations and her corrections were just amazing. The little things she had us working on were just something you would never think of, but actually do help the over all picture of your performance. What an AWSOME teacher she is.
Hollyberry

#29 pdance

pdance

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 March 1999 - 12:41 PM

Hey! I'm a little over half way into Dancing on my Grave. It's interesting, yet very negative. I'll let you know what I think when I finish it. Posted Image

#30 Katharyn

Katharyn

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 1999 - 01:16 AM

Although I wouldn't say Gelsey is one of my favourite dancers (having only seen her dance one role on video and read both her books) I do confess to having a strange fascination with her.
I have read many books where people (particularly other dancers) complain about her meticulous method of preparing for a role, yet I have never heard her 'genius' doubted. Her books were totally honest (and often truth is subjective- whether or not she should take the blame for many of the mistakes in her life is not the point). (Well thats my unlearned opinion anyway).
She seems to be a bundle of contradictions in one tiny woman- 'an amazing combination of fragility and strength' as alexandra mentioned, and able to look spontaneous onstage when every move was rehearsed.
It's no wonder people are still fascinated by her, even now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):