susan Jaffeabt

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jimmattimore

jimmattimore

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:47 AM

I love the classical ballets the best, and I always loved Susan. I wrote her a love letter a few years back, so she invited me to visit her in her dressing room; that was very exciting. I thought that was a very gracious thing to do for me.
Iattended her final performance, and that was great. I would place Suzanne Farrell as number one oif all time and is there a sadder movie Than "Elusive Muse"? My wife and I were sobbing.

#2 Guest_Anne_*

Guest_Anne_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 December 2003 - 07:18 PM

I saw Susan Jaffee in Boston a few years ago and she was fantastic. I also saw Paloma Herrara when the ABT toured in Detroit. She was also terrific. What is Susan Jaffee up to lately?

#3 jimmattimore

jimmattimore

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 10:45 PM

The last I heard was that Susan Jaffee was an artistic consultant at ABT and does commentary on a ballet show that you can only get in Manhattan.I too love Paloma of the incredibly fast spins.

#4 Rachel

Rachel

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 01:59 PM

Ms. Jaffe is the director and founder of Princeton Dance and Theater Studio along with Risa Gary Kaplowitz.

Rachel

#5 MYBkid

MYBkid

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 09:44 AM

Ms. Jaffe is so nice! She came to see my school's Spring Production last year and she was so gracious to all the students, and fans who approached her for picture after picture, autograph after autograph. I saw her do Sugar Plum Fairy two, or three years ago (time slips by), and she spent 10 minutes talking to all of the people who waited for her backstage! During a dinner my school held about 10 years ago they were selling extremely old costumes from decades before and I got a character type shirt that was a piece of her costume. She is one of my favourites!! From what I see she is very gracious to all her fans.

#6 Emsin

Emsin

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 03:21 PM

I also went to see her retirement performance of Giselle in June 2002. At first, I felt like I was going to a funeral, but it was really very nice. Especially the final ovation, which lasted for half an hour (I stayed for the whole thing). One thing that I think reflects her personality is that during that ovation, she made great effort not to step on the many individual flowers that were thrown on stage for her. I realized later that these were gifts from her fans, and she didn't want to step on them. I liked that.

She was hosting Dance New York on Channel 25 here in NYC for a time, but then the show repeated itself ad nauseum and she hasn't hosted recent installments (she's been replaced by Celia Ipiotis of "Eye on Dance"). I also notice that DanceMagazine doesn't seem to be involved with the show anymore, so something's happened.

#7 Ljonesxoxo

Ljonesxoxo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:36 PM

Susan Jaffe is amazing. She is my top idol. She was a beautiful dancer. She taught at a summer intensive I went to last summer and I was amazed. I look up to her so much. Im auditioning for her summer intensive at her new school and I am praying that I will make it. If I do I will be blessed.

#8 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 10:11 AM

The last I heard was that Susan Jaffee was an artistic consultant at ABT and does commentary on a ballet show that you can only get in Manhattan.I too love Paloma of the incredibly fast spins.

Ahem!! There is more to New York C ity than Manhattan. Believe it or not the show can also be seen in the other four boroughs, and I suspect some New Jersey locales as well. B)

#9 russianptaylor

russianptaylor

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 06:57 PM

She taught a master class and came to my SI

russianotaylor

#10 dadof2dancers

dadof2dancers

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 01:15 PM

Susan Jaffe is Co-Artistic Director of Princeton Dance & Theatre, still involved with ABT as well as other ballet related activities.
Her relationship with ABT & its' Dancers also brings many well known guest teachers to PDT.
She is an active teacher and teaches on a regular basis at PDT.
From a Dad's viewpoint she is very well liked by parents & students & is very approachable. :yes:

Edited by dadof2dancers, 17 January 2004 - 01:19 PM.

#11 Thalictum

Thalictum

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:43 PM

Jaffe is something adminstrative at ABT -- liaison to the Board, something like that. Her six figure salary was recently posted somewhere and caused a certain amount of raised eyebrows.

If people consider this gossip, I apologize.

#12 dadof2dancers

dadof2dancers

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 05:12 AM

In general an individual's income is private information, as it should be.
If Susan earns as much as you say, so be it.
If this is so, ABT obviously felt that what she brought to ABT both past
& present is worth this level of compensation.
What is right when it comes to income levels?
I certainly have bigger problems with many other
"artists" that earn absurd amounts of money, Michael Jackson,
Brittney Spears, J-LO, etc. & sports stars $5-10 million a year.
Come on!
Sure 6 figures is alot of money, but why shouldn't a dancer with a
career as significant as Susan's be rewarded for all that she has given
to the Ballet world?

#13 Guest_ABTBluebird_*

Guest_ABTBluebird_*

Posted 23 January 2004 - 06:07 AM

susan jaffe has been my role model for I don't know how long. She tought at the si I went to, and she is the best teacher ever!!! lol just thought I'd share

#14 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 07:59 AM

dadof2dancers, the reason why Jaffe's salary was brought up is because ABT has had financial problems. The topic came up in various threads about top administration leaving and negative reports on the company's finances and morale in the NY Times. The company also just lost a major donor in Movado. And when you work for a not-for-profit group, which ABT is, your salary is not private. I think I was the one who brought it up - it was in the newspaper stories, along with the salary of the new human resources director (who also was making six figures). I don't begrudge any dancer for making a good salary, but there was a question as to what she did in her position to warrant such a sum.

#15 Guest_Daniella64_*

Guest_Daniella64_*

Posted 23 January 2004 - 08:40 AM

I LOVE Susan Jaffe, but I LOVE LOVE Suzanne Ferrell :thumbsup: I recently was at her companies performances at the Kennedy Center and they where selling The Elusive Muse but I did not have anough $ to buy it, I have read all her books and I want to see it soooo badly, does anyone know where I can buy it? Thanks!

Danielle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):