This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

audience etiquette rant

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 Hal

Hal

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 12:43 PM

:devil: For those out of NYC who might not have heard, on Monday night one patron at Rao's (a very very exclusive, impossible to get into, restaurant) was shot dead for a drunken outburst criticising one of the impromptu singers that are part of the geshtalt of the restaurant. After reading these stories (and recalling some of my own), I feel great sympathy for the shooter. :FIREdevil:

#47 Emsin

Emsin

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 02:02 PM

And whatever happened to the policy of not seating anyone once the performance has begun? I went to a NYCB performance last summer and the ushers actually brought people to their seats (right in front of me) while Wendy Whelan, one of my favorite dancers, was dancing. It completely destroyed the feel of the ballet to have an interruption like that.

#48 dido

dido

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 04:01 PM

I cannot imagine (no really, cannot even imagine) any one breaking up Ms Whelan's performance. I have only seen her on video & pictures) and yet think her grace and toughness, her sensuality and hard-mindedness (sorry for the non-English words) so define what it is to be a ballerina, that I sincerely mourn with you.

Wendy Whelen seems to me to be made up of equal parts diamond and horse hair, by which I mean that her movements are clear and quick, her physique is taut yet flexible.

I realize many folks dislike her. I am not among them.

To relate this to the thread: I went to Jose Mateo's Nutcracker a few weekends ago (can I just say how gorgeous Jose is? He was the Drosselmeyer, and so beautiful I could totally see Ms Endrizzi wanting to keep him away from all the female guests! In fact, all the dancer's were beautiful, and the arms of young Clara alone were enough to make me cry. Dang, this is a good company!)

I had a family next to me with a "cherub" in the 2nd act. Now coming from a theater family myself I understand the need to see your sister. But why in the name of GOD do you need to kick my seat the whole time, read Charlie Brown Cartoons and reasure the three year old that she's going to see her sister any second now?

The magic took over for me, I might add. I loved the show, especially the dancing ,(there isn't much else , music or set to love at at JMBT show)but it was seriously an effort of will.
I remembered this forum, and tried my damnest to like all the kids.

You know what? I liked the kids who were excited but well behaved.

#49 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 06:41 PM

If I were a lady, I'd take a Spanish fan to any performance where I might need o tap someone brightly on the shoulder and ask them to behave themselves.

Chinese fan would work just as well.

But I'm really with pumukau, if the audience is enjoying themselves intelligently, it doesn't bother me; in fact, I like it if the audience sawys a bit during hte waltzing, and at Flamenco performances or Gospel concerts, if there isn't active commentary from the audience ("SING it, baby"), I feel like there's nothing going on, and the performers are visibly dismayed.

It's NOT television. The artists are there, in the same room with you, and if you're with them, they feel it and give to you. (Check out the wonderful interview Donald O'Connor gave Mindy Aloff, on the Danceview link, about how much he loved to perform at the Apollo and other houses where the audience was LOUD and alive and egging him on.
http://www.danceview...39;connor.html)

i remember in london, when I went to the Royal Ballet at Covent Garden, the Brits amazed me -- they weren't "proper" at all, certainly NOT a stiff-upper-lipped audience; they didn't impinge on each other, but they made a LOT of noise at times, ate chocolates during hte performances, swayed during the waltzes (beat time in various ways), applauded when the ballerina made her entrance, and the hero, bravoed a lot, rushed down to the brass rail at curtain calls, and made the dancers bow and bow and bow. I'm not a total Anglophile, but I've adopted their style in this respect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):