This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

La fille mal gardee

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:25 PM

Which one of the commercially available videos would you recommend for this ballet? Also, whose version is the best, as far as your opinion goes?

silvy

#2 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 09:10 PM

I have the Australian Ballet. It seems serviceable, but if you can get the Royal Ballet, I'd imagine that would be best.

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:42 AM

The Royal Ballet version stars Lesley Collier, who was very lovely as Lise, Michael Coleman as Colas, and Garry Grant as an engaging Alain. Brian Shaw played the Widow Simone, who dances one of the highlights of the ballet, a clog dance. I find Coleman to be a bit cloying, but he's not really the point of the ballet anyway.

It's too bad the Australian Ballet recording isn't as good as the terrific production they brought to Seattle in 1994. I saw Luncida Dunn dance Lise and Robert Marshall dance a decidedly non-cloying Colas, but I don't know who was in the other casts.

#4 paul

paul

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 12:29 PM

The Royal Ballet Version is the Best. But with lots of reservations I liked Alisa
Alonsons Version for the Cuban Ballet very much as well.Some magnificent danncing.
paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):