This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What are you reading this winter?

Unless is next on my list of books to read. I am going to look at it in more of a self-centered way, how my life and transitions effect my mom. In the past year my father died, and I have filed for divorce of my husband of 14 years. My mom has never been so supportive in my life, even when I was going through the acceptable transitions, college, career, marriage, children etc. I believe she knew my marriage was very unhealthy, but did not want to say anything to alienate me from my spouse. The older I get, now approaching 50 rather rapidly, the more my mother has given me emotional support. Hopefully this book will help me examine my mother's feelings, so I can be ready for my own emotional roller coaster with my own two daughters. :blushing:

Tutumaker, did you mean to type "Unless" rather than "Undefined"? I just did a search via Amazon for "Undefined" and didn't come up with anything.

I can completely understand what you're saying vagansmom about the difference one's point of view makes in reading this particular book - Unless. I guess it's really always that way, but for those of us with children who are getting ready to spread their wings and move on, I can see how it would be more poignant. Yet, in the case of this story, so far anyway, I see it as more of a story of loss - loss of control. loss of love, loss of understanding...all of which can resonate even with those of us who still have our offspring at home.

And, Treefrog, I agree I'm liking it better evening by evening.

I am in the midst of Reading Lolita in Tehran and will heartily second Tutumaker's recommendation to read this book. Besides making me want to go back and read much of my high school literature, this book also carries in its pages a very poignant story of women's lives in Iran these days.

I am two thirds of the way through Women of the Silk. I have mixed feelings about this book. Basically I think that the author shows promise as a writer but isn't quite there. I almost feel as though she needed to make the book at least twice as long as it is. Too much is glossed over ala TV docudrama style. Much is mentioned of the special relationship between two of the main characters in the first third of the book but little of it is depicted.

It's a shame, I think, because the author, Gail Tsukiyama, writes in a very pleasing style and the subject, the women who lived and worked together at the silk trade in the early 1900's in China, is such an intriguing one. I'm very frustrated, though, by what's left unwritten. It isn't a matter of being deliberately teased; it's almost as if the author were given a word limit and didn't do a good job editing to make the story tighter.

Next week I begin Carol Shields' The Republic of Love and also Swann. I hope I love them as much as her other books.