This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Aurelie Dupont

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Well  it was Aurelie's final performance  of the Ballet on the 6th October, and she did confess when I went round to see her. that she felt sad.  By all accounts on the performance prior to this the 3rd, she was crying at the curtain call's, knowing she had only one more performance to dance. Bless her, she has quite a challenge ahead as the time passes  up to her final  appearance. .

It's nice to be able to hear from someone who could be there - thanks Nanarina. I have to hope that Dupont is able to come to the US to do some dancing after POB retirement. Who knows what the future will hold?

#17 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

Well  it was Aurelie's final performance  of the Ballet on the 6th October, and she did confess when I went round to see her. that she felt sad.  By all accounts on the performance prior to this the 3rd, she was crying at the curtain call's, knowing she had only one more performance to dance. Bless her, she has quite a challenge ahead as the time passes  up to her final  appearance. .

It's nice to be able to hear from someone who could be there - thanks Nanarina. I have to hope that Dupont is able to come to the US to do some dancing after POB retirement. Who knows what the future will hold?

Pherank

You may be lucky, as Aurelie and her husband Jeremie Belingard  have said they would like to move to America, as they loved their time there recently on tour. But they are also not certain of how French people get on there.  Seems Aurelie has already asked ABT if  she could dance in Manon but they turned her down.  (They obviously do not know what they are missing)  She does not want to coach or work at POB but would go further a field. Pity she cannot guest at Covent garden, especially as Alina Cojocaru has left to join English National Ballet (what a scoop for them eh?)

#18 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

You may be lucky, as Aurelie and her husband Jeremie Belingard  have said they would like to move to America, as they loved their time there recently on tour. But they are also not certain of how French people get on there.  Seems Aurelie has already asked ABT if  she could dance in Manon but they turned her down.  (They obviously do not know what they are missing)  She does not want to coach or work at POB but would go further a field. Pity she cannot guest at Covent garden, especially as Alina Cojocaru has left to join English National Ballet (what a scoop for them eh?)

I have heard about her interest in ABT, and that seems the most likely place for her to guest. But I'm sure there are many places where she and Belingard could teach, if that is of interest.

I'm happy to have Dupont and Belingard come to San Francisco Ballet, and keep Mathilde Froustey company.  ;)   (Or maybe Froustey would wonder, "Can't I get away from these people?")

But certainly, London would be a good option for them.

#19 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

I have heard about her interest in ABT, and that seems the most likely place for her to guest. But I'm sure there are many places where she and Belingard could teach, if that is of interest.

I'm happy to have Dupont and Belingard come to San Francisco Ballet, and keep Mathilde Froustey company.  ;)   (Or maybe Froustey would wonder, "Can't I get away from these people?")

But certainly, London would be a good option for them.

Oh Pherank, I bet you would like them to come to San Francisco, I would be very envious, much to far for me to come lol. Has Matilde settled in okay, do you see her perform much.   I saw her as Olga in Onegin with Mathias Heymann and she was very ggod, it was an Aurelie /Nicholas Le Riche performance.  Onegin is in the current season as well. But I have seen it twice 2 years ago at ROH with Alina Cojocaru another fine dancer.  Must save my money for other ballets with Aurelie.  In some ways I am not sure if she will continue in dance, as she seems to want to have a normal life as a wife and mother. Cannot say as I blame her after  all she went into the company at 16 years old.

#20 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Oh Pherank, I bet you would like them to come to San Francisco, I would be very envious, much to far for me to come lol. Has Matilde settled in okay, do you see her perform much.   I saw her as Olga in Onegin with Mathias Heymann and she was very ggod, it was an Aurelie /Nicholas Le Riche performance.  Onegin is in the current season as well. But I have seen it twice 2 years ago at ROH with Alina Cojocaru another fine dancer.  Must save my money for other ballets with Aurelie.  In some ways I am not sure if she will continue in dance, as she seems to want to have a normal life as a wife and mother. Cannot say as I blame her after  all she went into the company at 16 years old.

Mathilde Froustey is just beginning with the company, and this is normally the summer break at SF Ballet, but they are just about to leave for a tour to New York City:

http://www.sfballet.org/tickets/ontour

Froustey dances in Suite en Blanc (not a surprise) and I think 3 other mixed rep ballets, which will all be new for her. We have a forum thread discussing the visit to NYC. So I wish Froustey bonne chance with these new works. Simone Messmer form ABT is also brand new to SFB, and will be danicng in some works for the first time. It should be exciting for the New York audiences. Hopefully the new dancers will have had enough rehearsal time, and feel confident about their roles.

The SFB regular season begins with the Nutcracker in December, so Froustey will need to learn some parts for Helgi Tomasson's version of the ballet - it is a big, beautiful production. I hope she genuinely enjoys being at SFB, and chooses to stay. We shall see!

#21 red_ivy

red_ivy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

After many attempts to get a ticket for "Le Dame"   with Aurelie dancing the title role, I was thrilled to succeed in getting a seat for the Sunday matinee, on the 6th October,  I have been trying for almost 5 years to achieve this, and had almost given up.. After being told  all the time it was sold out, I phoned on the spur of the moment, last Monday.  and asked about the availability and wonder of wonders there were two seats available in the orchestra where I like to sit. Having first checked Eurostar and a hotel, I snapped it up with much delight. At last, I am going. After checking the Distribution list, it is the last performance Aurelie is doing in the run. Which brings me to wonder, if in fact it will be her last performance of the ballet, before she retires.    Taking into consideration the season is announced until mid 2014, it only leaves a short time before she will retire early 2015. It will be a delight for me but tinged with sadness to know this beautiful dancer will all too soon leave the company.

Good job, Nanarina - I'm happy for you (and envious). I agree that the opportunities to see Dupont live are fast running out.

Hi lurker here smile.png but someone managed to capture it, photo source x

tumblr_mv8fdkZmYX1qha0swo1_1280.jpg

#22 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

Dupont is scheduled to give two more performances of the ballet in Tokyo in March. Agnès Letestu is also scheduled to give her last POB performance there, just as Clairemarie Osta gave her final performance on tour in New York rather than in Paris.

http://www.nbs.or.jp...e-aux-camelias/

#23 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

And also Isabelle Ciaravola gives her last performance with POB in Japan in that tour too.

#24 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

It's an interesting phenomenon. You would think they would rather give their final performances for their home audience, which would naturally have the strongest sense of attachment to these dancers. I saw Osta's last Giselle, and while the response of the audience was very warm, I'm sure it was only a pale reflection of the send-off she had received in Paris. It was certainly less animated than some of the farewells of New York-based dancers that I'd seen.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the tour will be very emotional for everyone--dancers and audience.

#25 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

It might be easier for them to leave performing if they're not at home.

#26 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

Dupont is scheduled to give two more performances of the ballet in Tokyo in March. Agnès Letestu is also scheduled to give her last POB performance there, just as Clairemarie Osta gave her final performance on tour in New York rather than in Paris.

http://www.nbs.or.jp...e-aux-camelias/

I know from interviews with dancers that the Japanese balletomanes are quite adoring, but respectful - kind of the perfect mix. And I'm reminded that Danilova chose to retire on the road in Tokyo. The Japanese audiences make the dancers feel good about themselves, and at the end, that's what you want.  ;)

It's an interesting phenomenon. You would think they would rather give their final performances for their home audience, which would naturally have the strongest sense of attachment to these dancers. I saw Osta's last Giselle, and while the response of the audience was very warm, I'm sure it was only a pale reflection of the send-off she had received in Paris. It was certainly less animated than some of the farewells of New York-based dancers that I'd seen.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the tour will be very emotional for everyone--dancers and audience.

There is of course a 'last performance' at the Palais Garnier, although it may not factually be the last time the dancer performs as an étoile. Experiencing a number of 'last' shows may make it more enjoyable and less heart-breaking.

#27 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

I certainly never meant to imply that Japanese balletomanes are anything less than adoring and respectful. They tend to be pretty enthusiastic in New York, too. I'm sure that many people who attended Osta's final performance were seeing her for the first and last time, so naturally they would have had relatively little emotional investment in the occasion. After all, the POB had not visited New York in ages, and local audiences were discovering several generations of its dancers at the same time. Tokyo is different because the POB and its individual dancers have visited more regularly, so I don't doubt that Dupont, Letestu and Ciaravola all have devoted fans there.

#28 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

There is no such thing as a pure  farewell performance... Agnès will come back in June on Paris stage to dance Balanchine "Palais de Cristal" as a guest, just like in Tokyo...

#29 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

The young women of Japan do idol worship Aurelie or Oereri as she is affectionately known.  So no doubt they will give her a tremendous send off.

#30 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

From Dupont's interview with Gia Kourlas:

"Kourlas: How do you prepare for your retirement, as you say, a little bit every day?
Aurélie Dupont:
One way is to focus on all the people that I see every day—dancers, teachers, the guys who work in the wings, the women who do my costumes. I have small moments with those people, and I just think, live it in a strong way, because one day you won’t have this anymore. One day, you will go back to the stage door and somebody will ask you your name."

That's worth adding to Quotable Quotes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):