This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Aurelie Dupont

For me the stars of the show were the demi-soloists and corps. Their dancing, apart from Axel Ibot's synchronization problems in the brothel trio, was fabulous. I was also favorably impressed by Benjamin Pech as Monsieur G.M. and by Stéphane Bullion as Lescaut in the second act. However I can't say I was especially moved at any point, which was the fault of the ballet, not the dancers.

Does anyone know more about this announcement (if you can call Twitter "tweets" that):

Aurélie Dupont n'a pas signé son contrat de Maître de ballet car elle est désormais ARTISTE FREELANCE.
Elle fera un communiqué de presse à ce propos prochainement.
Merci de votre compréhension.

Dupont comments that, "Clotilde Vayer kept her status and Benjamin Pech became assistant ballet master of management."

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=547459348735764&id=314521315362903

What went wrong? Or was Dupont not feeling ready for the position? She is currently in Beijing to perform with Alessio Carbone for a couple of nights.

I read in her interview on the Japanese Dance Magazine that she did not become Maitre de Ballet because she would like to continue performing as an artist. The job of the Maitre de Ballet is demanding and she would have had to dedicate 100% of her time, and look after not only the soloists but also corps de ballet.

She mentioned that she will be guesting as a teacher occasionally at the Opera, and her relationships with the management continue to be friendly.

I read in her interview on the Japanese Dance Magazine that she did not become Maitre de Ballet because she would like to continue performing as an artist. The job of the Maitre de Ballet is demanding and she would have had to dedicate 100% of her time, and look after not only the soloists but also corps de ballet.

She mentioned that she will be guesting as a teacher occasionally at the Opera, and her relationships with the management continue to be friendly.

So it is more a matter of not being quite ready for the classroom life. I'm sure she's noticed that at this stage of her career, 2 nights performing in Bejing, or wherever, can be extremely lucrative.

I wish she would put in an appearance in California. ;)

Well, obviously, it is now time to congratulate Aurélie Dupont on her appointment as Artistic Director of the Paris Opera Ballet. I believe that she is now the 3rd female A.D. of the POB.

Bon courage et bonne chance!

Agreed: congrats to Dupont!

I think she may be the fourth--after Verdy, Rosella Hightower, and Lefèvre--not a bad record, by any means!

Agreed: congrats to Dupont!

I think she may be the fourth--after Verdy, Rosella Hightower, and Lefèvre--not a bad record, by any means!

Yes, I was forgetting about Hightower, one of the "Five Moons" (along with Yvonne Chouteau, Moscelyne Larkin, Maria Tallchief and Marjorie Tallchief). My apologies to her. ;)