This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Aurelie Dupont

An interview with Aurelie Dupont on ballet.co:

Aurelie Dupont

What’s the most difficult ballet for you?

Raymonda. It’s a huge ballet, and Nureyev is so complicated, it is the most difficult ballet of my life. You have six or seven variation, three pas de deux, at the end you are dead. It’s good to do it because you keep a good technique, when you can dance this you can dance everything. But for me it’s too much, it’s like eating too much. There is a lot of technique in this ballet but the pleasure is very little. When you work with a choreographer you can meet each other or not, sometimes you can have a fight but you can feel something. With Nureyev of course it’s different because he is dead. So, sometimes I’m a little bit frustrated with his choreography because I don’t like to work only on videos, or with other dancers who say: “I was doing this” and another one “no, I was doing that”.

Thanks for this link, it's an interesting interview (for example I didn't know that her first motivation to study ballet was in fact the music...) And thanks to ballet.co too! :) (However, there are a few things that sound odd, perhaps some translation problems?) Aurélie Dupont has been very successful since her return on stage last spring, I'm keeping my fingers crossed so that she remains in good shape (she was absent for almost one year and people were seriously worried that she might not come back).

I loved Dupont as Aurora in POB's taped "Sleeping Beauty" - she avoided garish extensions and that over-elasticity that seems to be plaguing the contemporary ballet scene. Her feet and legs are just gorgeous though, and her port de bras is very "creamy", I guess I'd call it. She and M. Legris danced a beautiful ballet in true classicism. That video's on my Top Five list, most definitely. :D

I am rather surprised to see that Aurelie is not cast in the current La Sylphide, as she was the person who created it with Pierre Lacotte for the POB. Perhaps she is cutting down on major roles prior to her retirement in 2015.

She was originally cast. She and Ganio were to have opening night. They she was pulled from the casting, then came back for later in the run and then was pulled again. She is injured.

The étoiles for Sylphide have been hard-hit - in addition to Dupont, Ganio, Gilbert and Ould-Braham are all out with injuries, plus Raveau. Pagliero is basically carrying the run (as she did with Don Q this winter ...)

I am rather surprised to see that Aurelie is not cast in the current La Sylphide, as she was the person who created it with Pierre Lacotte for the POB. Perhaps she is cutting down on major roles prior to her retirement in 2015.

She was originally cast. She and Ganio were to have opening night. They she was pulled from the casting, then came back for later in the run and then was pulled again. She is injured.

The étoiles for Sylphide have been hard-hit - in addition to Dupont, Ganio, Gilbert and Ould-Braham are all out with injuries, plus Raveau. Pagliero is basically carrying the run (as she did with Don Q this winter ...)

Oh dear, it seems never ending the amount of injuries that happen at the POB, makes one wonder what the quality or number of physio's or osteopath's they have. Josua Hoffalt is off again after his stress fracture in his leg, now with an injured shoulder. Why on earth don't they push some of the premier dancers or stand Ins forward, it is just not fair to let a minority of dancers like Ludmila take the strain.

The original Sylph in Lacotte's re-creation was actually Ghislaine Thesmar. Dupont wouldn't have been born as it first entered the repertoire in 1972, having first been seen on French TV a year previously.

Yes I was fully aware of this, but was referring to the later revival.

After many attempts to get a ticket for "Le Dame" with Aurelie dancing the title role, I was thrilled to succeed in getting a seat for the Sunday matinee, on the 6th October, I have been trying for almost 5 years to achieve this, and had almost given up.. After being told all the time it was sold out, I phoned on the spur of the moment, last Monday. and asked about the availability and wonder of wonders there were two seats available in the orchestra where I like to sit. Having first checked Eurostar and a hotel, I snapped it up with much delight. At last, I am going. After checking the Distribution list, it is the last performance Aurelie is doing in the run. Which brings me to wonder, if in fact it will be her last performance of the ballet, before she retires. Taking into consideration the season is announced until mid 2014, it only leaves a short time before she will retire early 2015. It will be a delight for me but tinged with sadness to know this beautiful dancer will all too soon leave the company.

After many attempts to get a ticket for "Le Dame" with Aurelie dancing the title role, I was thrilled to succeed in getting a seat for the Sunday matinee, on the 6th October, I have been trying for almost 5 years to achieve this, and had almost given up.. After being told all the time it was sold out, I phoned on the spur of the moment, last Monday. and asked about the availability and wonder of wonders there were two seats available in the orchestra where I like to sit. Having first checked Eurostar and a hotel, I snapped it up with much delight. At last, I am going. After checking the Distribution list, it is the last performance Aurelie is doing in the run. Which brings me to wonder, if in fact it will be her last performance of the ballet, before she retires. Taking into consideration the season is announced until mid 2014, it only leaves a short time before she will retire early 2015. It will be a delight for me but tinged with sadness to know this beautiful dancer will all too soon leave the company.

Good job, Nanarina - I'm happy for you (and envious). I agree that the opportunities to see Dupont live are fast running out.

Good job, Nanarina - I'm happy for you (and envious). I agree that the opportunities to see Dupont live are fast running out.

Well it was Aurelie's final performance of the Ballet on the 6th October, and she did confess when I went round to see her. that she felt sad. By all accounts on the performance prior to this the 3rd, she was crying at the curtain call's, knowing she had only one more performance to dance. Bless her, she has quite a challenge ahead as the time passes up to her final appearance. .

Well it was Aurelie's final performance of the Ballet on the 6th October, and she did confess when I went round to see her. that she felt sad. By all accounts on the performance prior to this the 3rd, she was crying at the curtain call's, knowing she had only one more performance to dance. Bless her, she has quite a challenge ahead as the time passes up to her final appearance. .

It's nice to be able to hear from someone who could be there - thanks Nanarina. I have to hope that Dupont is able to come to the US to do some dancing after POB retirement. Who knows what the future will hold?

It's nice to be able to hear from someone who could be there - thanks Nanarina. I have to hope that Dupont is able to come to the US to do some dancing after POB retirement. Who knows what the future will hold?

Pherank

You may be lucky, as Aurelie and her husband Jeremie Belingard have said they would like to move to America, as they loved their time there recently on tour. But they are also not certain of how French people get on there. Seems Aurelie has already asked ABT if she could dance in Manon but they turned her down. (They obviously do not know what they are missing) She does not want to coach or work at POB but would go further a field. Pity she cannot guest at Covent garden, especially as Alina Cojocaru has left to join English National Ballet (what a scoop for them eh?)

You may be lucky, as Aurelie and her husband Jeremie Belingard have said they would like to move to America, as they loved their time there recently on tour. But they are also not certain of how French people get on there. Seems Aurelie has already asked ABT if she could dance in Manon but they turned her down. (They obviously do not know what they are missing) She does not want to coach or work at POB but would go further a field. Pity she cannot guest at Covent garden, especially as Alina Cojocaru has left to join English National Ballet (what a scoop for them eh?)

I have heard about her interest in ABT, and that seems the most likely place for her to guest. But I'm sure there are many places where she and Belingard could teach, if that is of interest.

I'm happy to have Dupont and Belingard come to San Francisco Ballet, and keep Mathilde Froustey company. ;) (Or maybe Froustey would wonder, "Can't I get away from these people?")

But certainly, London would be a good option for them.

I have heard about her interest in ABT, and that seems the most likely place for her to guest. But I'm sure there are many places where she and Belingard could teach, if that is of interest.

I'm happy to have Dupont and Belingard come to San Francisco Ballet, and keep Mathilde Froustey company. ;) (Or maybe Froustey would wonder, "Can't I get away from these people?")

But certainly, London would be a good option for them.

Oh Pherank, I bet you would like them to come to San Francisco, I would be very envious, much to far for me to come lol. Has Matilde settled in okay, do you see her perform much. I saw her as Olga in Onegin with Mathias Heymann and she was very ggod, it was an Aurelie /Nicholas Le Riche performance. Onegin is in the current season as well. But I have seen it twice 2 years ago at ROH with Alina Cojocaru another fine dancer. Must save my money for other ballets with Aurelie. In some ways I am not sure if she will continue in dance, as she seems to want to have a normal life as a wife and mother. Cannot say as I blame her after all she went into the company at 16 years old.

Oh Pherank, I bet you would like them to come to San Francisco, I would be very envious, much to far for me to come lol. Has Matilde settled in okay, do you see her perform much. I saw her as Olga in Onegin with Mathias Heymann and she was very ggod, it was an Aurelie /Nicholas Le Riche performance. Onegin is in the current season as well. But I have seen it twice 2 years ago at ROH with Alina Cojocaru another fine dancer. Must save my money for other ballets with Aurelie. In some ways I am not sure if she will continue in dance, as she seems to want to have a normal life as a wife and mother. Cannot say as I blame her after all she went into the company at 16 years old.

Mathilde Froustey is just beginning with the company, and this is normally the summer break at SF Ballet, but they are just about to leave for a tour to New York City:

http://www.sfballet.org/tickets/ontour

Froustey dances in Suite en Blanc (not a surprise) and I think 3 other mixed rep ballets, which will all be new for her. We have a forum thread discussing the visit to NYC. So I wish Froustey bonne chance with these new works. Simone Messmer form ABT is also brand new to SFB, and will be danicng in some works for the first time. It should be exciting for the New York audiences. Hopefully the new dancers will have had enough rehearsal time, and feel confident about their roles.

The SFB regular season begins with the Nutcracker in December, so Froustey will need to learn some parts for Helgi Tomasson's version of the ballet - it is a big, beautiful production. I hope she genuinely enjoys being at SFB, and chooses to stay. We shall see!

Hi lurker here smile.png but someone managed to capture it, photo source x

tumblr_mv8fdkZmYX1qha0swo1_1280.jpg

It's an interesting phenomenon. You would think they would rather give their final performances for their home audience, which would naturally have the strongest sense of attachment to these dancers. I saw Osta's last Giselle, and while the response of the audience was very warm, I'm sure it was only a pale reflection of the send-off she had received in Paris. It was certainly less animated than some of the farewells of New York-based dancers that I'd seen.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the tour will be very emotional for everyone--dancers and audience.