Ballet Pacifica

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Starr

Starr

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

This Link continues the story. I was astonished by how little money the new administration of the company had been able to raise, despite the star power of Stiefel, McKerrow, etc.

Only $1.5 million pledged towards a $6 million goal. As a comparison, California Ballet has an $1.3 million annual budget -- quite tiny. Whereas, in Chicago, the fund-raising goal for bringing NYCB and its orchestra for a single week of performances is $1.8 million, with $1.1 already raised.

What is going on in southern California?

Try watching the Real Housewives of Orange County on Bravo. :P . You'll see where the money goes in the OC, :dry:

#17 Maxi3D

Maxi3D

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

What is going on in southern California?

Don't you know? Ballet is dead in southern California. Ballet Pacifica went from a mid-level ballet company with a dream of a world class ballet company to now a lowly regional ballet company all within one year. This is what ballet in southern California is like.

#18 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

Wonderful news for Ballet Pacifica ..........Evelyn Cisneros and Stephen Legate will be the new Ballet Pacifica School directors. Evelyn has been working in the education of children since retiring as an SFB principle dancer. Both are such great people and talented professionals. I wish them a healthy future in the O.C.! Welcome~ I believe this to be a wonderful replacement for Stieffel and co.

#19 TutuMaker

TutuMaker

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:03 AM

Looking at the Playbill Article:

Evelyn Cisneros-Legate, a longtime principal dancer with San Francisco Ballet, has been named director of Ballet Pacifica's school

No mention of Mr. Legate is made in regards to Ballet Pacifica.

The OC register article mentions his retirement. No mention is made that he will have anything to do with the school.

Her husband, San Francisco Ballet principal dancer Stephen Legate, is retiring from the company with a special performance tonight.

Again the Los Angeles Times article makes no mention of any connection between Mr. Legate and Ballet Pacifica.

As wonderful as it will be for the students to have Ms. Cisneros as academy director, it was also wonderful to have Ms. McKerrow. One can only wonder what is the root cause of having 3 academy directors within a 12 month period. It cannot be a very positive atmosphere for children not knowing how long this administration will last, if the past is any indicator.

#20 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

You are correct, tutumaker. No mention of Stephen Legate being involved with the BP school in the press releases. It mentions that he will be attending chiropractic school in the Fall. I would guess that when Ethan left BP, all those that he brought with him left also.

#21 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:13 AM

I would guess that when Ethan left BP, all those that he brought with him left also.

From the start I always interpreted it as a packaged deal. So no surprise there.

Mrs. Cisneros-Legate is/was a wonderful artist and totally committed to the art form. With so many "career transitions" happening at SF Ballet right now and her connections in general, it will be exciting to observe what Evelyn brings to BP. :shake:

#22 chauffeur

chauffeur

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 12:04 PM

Forgive me if this is heading off on a tangent, but it's been driving me nuts and Googling didn't yield an answer. Isn't Legate semi-famous in dancing circles for also competing in something like cycling or swimming or triathloning? I seem to recall reading somewhere that he did, but I can't find confirmation. I just always love hearing about dancers who are able to do something physical outside the dance realm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):