This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Step of the Week 6bHow high?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Rachel

Rachel

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 06:27 PM

So the tir bouchon of the higher retire sort is exactly what? Higher than the knee cap? Directly to the side or slightly crossed in front? Are there pirouettes in this position, as I've seen a dancer from the Ballet Stars of Moscow pirouetting in a position with the toe much above the knee?

Rachel

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 06:35 PM

Tire-bouchon is with the point of the toe right at the side of the knee. The problem with the position is that it can get out of control, as you've mentioned, and make for some pretty ungainly pirouettes. As ever, the fault is not the position's, but the dancer's.

Men often make this mistake, and not just Russians, and not just Vaganova-trained ones either! And on the same token, most Russian, Vaganova-trained men do very excellent pirouettes, without overlifting the "working foot".

#18 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 10:42 PM

Tangent Alert...

I'm afraid I'm going to harp back to the height of the extensions tangent

And again yes, when an older work like Giselle comes along, the use of high extensions OUGHT to be forbidden...

One of my pet peeves has been the current seeming preference for men with high, almost feminine extensions as opposed to high elevation in their jumps. I must confess my bias, that I think the masculine line is beautiful on it's own and needn't ape female flexibility... but I've gotten to thinking lately that these high extensions aren't just at the expense of elevation, they're actually masking the elevation... in that someone with less flexibility will show the arc of the leap in a grand jete, for instance, whereas a flexible dancer's legs flashing out into a perfect split obscures the arc. Am I crazy? Is it possible that the elevation actually looks lower because of the legs reaching out?

Queen of the Malaprop

#19 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 06:50 AM

I think there's something to this - There's a general tendency, not a rule, that runs "exceptional at jumps, average extension", exceptional at extension, average elevation." There are more men dancing now after the Ballet Boom, and its answering boomlet, and many more somatic types are now available for companies to choose from. The shock of the new when faced with jaretté male dancers, and hyperextended male dancers may be affecting the selection process for company rosters. Of course, if you can find a guy who's both hyperextended AND arqué, then that's really something!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):