This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Chopiniana (Les Sylphides)

this is a somewhat complicated answer regarding CHOPINIANA, as there were a few 'versions' before the ballet was shown in paris.

lynn garafola's fact-filled appendices in her DIAGHILEV'S BALLETS RUSSES would give you many details.

in brief the cast of what garafola lists as REVERIE ROMANTIQUE-BALLET SUR LA MUSIQUE DE CHOPIN (CHOPINIANA-SECOND VERSION): st.petersburg, 8 march 1908 was: anna pavlova, olga preobrajenska, tamara karsavina, vaslav nijinsky

that for LES SYLPHIDES (paris, 2 june 909) repeated the st. pete cast except for the preobrajenska, who was replaced by alexandra baldina.

(a version previous to the st. pete CHOPINIANA [10 february 1907] was a rather differently constucted suite of chopin pieces (orchestrated before the fact by glazunov), the male lead for this production, dancing opposite pavlova in the pas de deux to the valse in c-sharp minor, op. 64 #2 was mikhail oboukhov.)

re: Diaghilev's Ballets Russes LES SYLPHIDES, buckle says (and i'm not sure he known for his exactitude):

valse - karsavina

mazurka - pavlova

prelude - baldina

tradition from here on out has had the pas de deux ballerina peforming a combination of either mazurka & pdd or prelude & pdd. i don't think there's a tradition for the combination of valse/pdd.

The foundation company of the London Festival Ballet, now the English National Ballet, then called Gala Performances of Ballet, had a "Chopiniana" in repertoire with choreography by, I believe, Anton Dolin. They did "Les Sylphides", too, but they did this other one to the Glazunov arrangements of things not used for "Sylphides".

a recording i have of the glazunov 'chopiniana' includes the following:

POLONAISE IN A MAJOR, OP 40 NO. 1

NOCTURNE IN F MAJOR, OP 15 NO. 1

MAZURAK IN C SHARP MINOR, OP 50, NO. 3

WALTZ IN C SHARP MINOR, OP 64, NO. 2

TARANTELLA, A FLAT MAJOR, OP 43

meanwhile i'm attempting to attach a photo, probably from 1914 of Elena M. Lukom and Anatole N. Obukhov in CHOPINIANA, Imperial Theater production.

post-11-1070560992.jpg