This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Opera -- Copenhagen

I just read an AP article about the naming of a new opera house in Copenhagen that is being built across from the downtown Royal Palace. It's scheduled to open in spring 2005. It was just named (in translation) "The Opera -- Copenhagen."

Will RDB move to the new house, too, or will the Company remain at the Royal Theater? If RDB stays in the Royal Theater, will this mean an expanded season for the Company?

RDB will have a number of performances in the new Opera house, but is expected to dance primarily on the Old stage at Kgns. Nytorv. I expect we will see a splitz equal to the use of the Paris Opera and the Bastille. Bournonville will be primarily danced at Kongens Nytorv. Both Opera and ballet is supposed to ad. an additional 40 performances per year when the new building is in place. There have been some additional funding, bu is beliieved that they will have more performances of the same ballets and prolong a ballet lifespand from say 2 to 3 years

So performing at Kgns Nytorv and at the new Opera house in the main space AND in the smaller space at the opera house? I don't know if there are enough people in all of Denmark to sell all those potential ballet seats! Perhaps the touring companies now won't get stuck at Tivoli, where it seems like the number of 'bad' seats outweighs the good about 2 to 1.

Good point, aspirant! In the 1980s and '90s (and perhaps before) the company regularly danced at both the Old Stage (Gamle Scene) and the New Stage (across the street, in a building that now is a dinner theater? I haven't been in it). They'd do modern or small cast works on the New Stage and bigger works on the New. I don't know if it really added performances (because before that, they'd often dance a one-act ballet with a two-act play, etc; the repertory was more integrated among the three arts).

I hope you've made your suggestion about visiting companies! I've only seen dance at Tivoli a couple of times, but it wasn't pleasant. That has to be the widest, shallowest stage in the world! (or at least in the top 10)