• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

I LOVE Semenyaka's performance [Bolshoi DVD], where she makes the claps the beginning of everything. They're the onslaught into a magnificent phrase, a huge spiral of the arms, which turn IN at the shoulder as one hand goes down, the other comes up, and then there's this unbelievable rotation that happens in the back, the wings spread, the shoulders melt omehow as the arms reach out and complete their arcs and arrive in classical second position. AN ABSOLUTELY amazingly beautiful long-drawn-out gorgeous phrase. I've never seen anybody else do it with such amplitude or such a sense of inevitability -- it's like a rainbow materializing in the sky, the arrival at perfection and simplicity. How do you top that? Well, then she does it again! And that's just the beginning!!! when she gets to the passes, the FIRST ONE is final. And then come all the rest of them until you're just screaming. It is SO exciting!!!

#17 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:10 PM

Now I've started envisioning Raymonda's variation as a parody during which the stage lights go on and off each time she claps....

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

Now I've started envisioning Raymonda's variation as a parody during which the stage lights go on and off each time she claps....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From your post to the Trocks' ear :crying:

#19 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:04 PM

Thanks, Paul, for your description. It will send me back to the DVD to look more carefully. Topics like this, and posts like yours, this are a wonderful education for the eye of those of us who have less knowledge and experience.

P.S. (Changing tone): I can add this to my rather short list of other theatrical claps -- saving Tinkerbell after being asked "clap your hands if you believe in fairies." I do! I do!

#20 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:48 AM

o hans, that's hilarious!

and Helene, you're SO RIGHT!
in fact, the Trocks version of Raymonda is almost straight, it needs some jokes....
But they can DO it.

I'm suddenly picturing Mark Mrris doing hte Arabian ance in the Hard nut -- remember, he claps his hands and his houris fall down dead, one by one.... DIvine imperiousness.

The Trocks could try that, too.
In nureyev's version, there's a high table full of grandees upstage of hte dancers -- every time she clapped, someone could fall over into their cups. i think I'd have to laugh at that -- the devil would make me do it.

#21 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:15 PM

I prefer the clap too, but it's not a make or break thing for me... Depends who is dancing the role. Raymonda, however, should not be dancing on top of the music, eg, too lightly. The clap, if well done, definitely adds paprika to her solo, and she becomes the music unlike any where else in the ballet.

I remember the house trembled a little when Monique Meunier danced the lead in Balanchine's Cortege at NYCB. A perfect role for her.... Such a long time ago... sigh... Monique just recently danced Dewdrop with SAB's Stamford, CT, performances.... She looked...not in shape... to be polite.

>>From your post to the Trocks' ear...

That would be so hilarious!!! I may send a note over there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):