This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Change to ABT Spring 2005 Met Schedule

According to an AP article published on andante.com, the Metropolitan Opera is taking a 2.5 week performance break in January 2005, thus pushing out its season to 22 May; this will affect ABT's Spring '05 schedule:

"They're concerned because it puts them into the week after the Fourth of July in 2004–05 and 2005–06," [Met general manager Joseph] Volpe said. "I said, 'Let's try and let's see what happens. A lot has changed since the Lincoln Center Festival has been created.' "

I remember in 1999 there were talks that ABT would have to push its season back. The company was concerned that more people leave the city later in the summer and it would hurt ticket sales. I guess that's what happens when you're just a tenant. :( More woes for ABT. It will probably effect the Lincoln Center festival too.

On the good side, ABT will have a 4-week season at City Center in the fall of 2004, thanks to a grant from the Gillman Foundation.