This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Who are all these Liepas?

Nora

Over the past couple of weeks, I have seen on video or on the Classic Arts Showcase, by my count, at least three different dancers with the surname Liepa. Who are all these people? One was a male dancer in a tape I bought with Nina Ananiashvili. He also showed up on CAS with a woman of the same name whose name I can't remember. Then there was a different woman on CAS doing Sheherazade. My head is spinning. Who are they and how are they related? Does anyone know?

Did Andris' wife (also a dancer) take the Liepa name? Something tells me I remember that, but I'm not positive.

Andris -- I miss him very much. Loved when he was with ABT for those two years. Such a musical dancer, simultaneously heroic and familiar, with beautiful line, big, airy leaps and lovely personality.

Dear Nora,

You can find a lot of information about Maris, Andris and Ilse Liepa on:

http://liepa.ru/home/english.htm

Maris Liepa remains, without any doubt, the most prominent ballet personality in this family. Since you, Nora, are obviously interested in ballet, try to find that particular videofilm of the Bolshoi's "Spartacus" where Maris Liepa danced Crassus. It was his greatest achievment.

Yekaterina is Andris' wife. She was a member of the Kirov's corps de ballet and used to dance Princess in "The Firebird" at the time when Andris was appearing in the Kirov's productions.

I remember Maris Liepa vividly, as he was the first Siegfried I ever saw in the Bolshoi Swan Lake in the early 60s (he was billed as "Marius" Liepa then). He was paired with Nina Timofeyeva, and the performance was gloriously old-fashioned, but very exciting. They used to call him "The Olivier of the Ballet" which was not a bad comparison, as he rather looked terribly handsome in the Olivier way, and could go over-the-top, or quiet and subtle, and the acting was still first-rate, with the dancing suffering not at all! :wub:

Thank you, everyone, for the information. When I saw the excerpt from Sheherazade on CAS, I really enjoyed it. The description said the choreography was by Fokine, but I have never seen the ballet nor have I heard any discussion of it. Why don't we see it?

Saturation and changing æsthetics. The Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo did the ballet to death as part of its standard touring package, and audiences got sick and tired of it. By the time a new audience grew into being able to appreciate it, it looked like "Son of the Son of the Sheik" and the movement vocabulary seemed rooted in Rudolph Valentino and Theda Bara rather than ballet.

The Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo did the ballet to death as part of its standard touring package, and audiences got sick and tired of it.

Same for the Kirov Ballet, I would say. Nora, check out the Kirov Ballet threads on Ballettalk for descriptions and appreciations of Fokine's "Scheherazade". With the recent Kirov US tour just behind us, you are bound to find a couple.

Andris Liepa is definitely one of my famous Russian ballet male dancers. I first saw him in a documentry of Bolshoi Ballet made in 1986 or 87, he was dancing with Nina Ananiashvili. They were just making their ways to be the principle dancers of the company. At the end of the documentry, it shows clips of Giselle they performed together in 1986, it was just beautiful....