This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Yuri Soloviev pictures

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

I saw a doc. on Soloviev, and of course I was totally blown away. Are there any dancers today that are in the same universe with his dancing? A trully unique dancer. A rare bird.
I remember going to see "The Turning Point" and discussing Misha. A lady walked by us and said,"You should have seen Yuri Soloviev!"(At the old Walter Reed Thater, when it was on 57th St in NYC.)
I did not understand until I saw this documentary.

To answer your question, I think not.

Why, because he was not merely remarkable because of his technical skills honed by Boris Shavrov, he was a product of an unusual culture of the dance and possessed of an obsessive personality that saw his performances as having a particular meaning beyond the performance of steps that one might in other contexts call holy.

There are dancers to whom their particular calling is related to spirituality whether they are religious in the conventional sense or not. It is as if they are inspired and that manner of inspiration attains a kind of spirituality, often fleeting, but that some performing artists not only reach for, but often achieve.

That particular level of theatrical expression can be found in diverse performers and diverse roles.

It is that region of experience when performers become artists and artists become inspired and inspiring.

I have witnessed moments when watching dancers, singers, actors and musicians when I neither wanted to or could actually breath, why, because the performance was literally breathtaking.

This may not sound an objective view, but I have witnessed audiences reponses that were absolutely in unison in timing and weight, that confirms for the theatregoer of many years that what they had witnessed as unique, finding a resonance simultaneously, with hundreds of others.

This is differfent to mass hysteria, this is a shared experience by knowledgeable audiences of artists performing at a level that one hopes and might I say in the best sense lives for, but experiences not so often.

Yuri Vladimirovich Soloviev, is one such dancer who for me, entered and remains in the pantheon of the elite.

#17 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:03 AM

with so much of soviet ballet history out of most outsiders' reach, individuals such as boris shavrov, soloviev's teacher, as identified here, remained unknowns.
i've scanned three photos of shavrov which i recently acquired, even before i realized he had become a revered pedagogue.
these pictures show him as Phoebus in ESMERALDA, as Albert in GISELLE (both photos signed and both indicate, it seems to me, that the artful postures struck by y.v.soloviev had some beginnings in the 'plastique' of his teacher) and finally as a teacher in a vaganova academy classroom. the notes on the back of this last photo say the dancers being rehearsed by shavrov are: svetlana konstantinovna shyeina, and boris vasilievich soloviev (b. 1910) - not to be confused with yuri vladimirovich soloviev (b. 1940).

Attached Files

#18 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:26 AM

i've scanned another soviet ballet group, also taken in a vaganova academy classroom.
the photo is undated and unidentified.
my sense is that it is a group around boris shavrov, seen with his hand extended at the photo's center.
i'm not sure of the others, the woman on the far left is unknown - could it be izraeleva/zubkovskaya?, next to her, is, i think, olga moiseyeva.
seated next to shavrov are, i believe, b.bregvadze, far right and n. zubkovsky? next to shavrov.
i think v.chabukiani is standing on the far right. i can't identify the smiling man standing on the left nor the one standing in the middle - perhaps aleksandr gribov?

Attached Files

#19 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:54 AM

Thanks much, rg, for the wonderful stream of fascinating and beautiful photos you've been scanning.

Speaking for myself, I am very appreciative!

#20 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:25 PM

to any/all kind voices of appreciation re: such pix etc.
it's my pleasure to know of other interests and enthusiasm for such items - i often think of something arlene croce said to a friend as she was finishing up the astaire/rogers book, and wondering about the interest in her efforts: sometimes i feel, she noted, that there are about 3 people besides me who care about these things.
still, three or so interested other parties in the case of historic ballet pix are better than none.

#21 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

This is a wonderful thread about someone I've heard about over the years only as a last name included in lists of the late-great, and as an (unseen) icon. I was wondering why nothing of his was included in the widely distributed "Glory of the Kirov" video.

#22 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

RG, let me add how exciting it is to look at pictures like these --

Grat pedagogy is a glorious thing in its own right (as I guess is implicit in balanchine's decision to call himelf "ballet master").

I saw Nureyev and Mason in Swan Lake, Act 2 try a knee stand like that, which didn't come off the day I saw it. Actually, of course the ballerina was in a different pose, but the mount is very difficult --

But I find the group picture the most fascinating. So much energy, so beautifully restrained.

#23 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:04 PM

... boris shavrov, ...
these pictures show him ... as Albert in GISELLE (both photos signed and both indicate, it seems to me, that the artful postures struck by y.v.soloviev had some beginnings in the 'plastique' of his teacher)

No kidding about the plastique -- look at all the torque in that Giselle photo, both his body and his costume. That's just stunning.

#24 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:13 PM

in a short review for the NYTimes about THE GLORY OF THE KIROV i took it upon myself to note that soloviev was indeed on this compilation, uncredited as a 'side boy' in the LAURENCIA PAS DE SIX led by nureyev and kurgapkina.

the following link might take you to this article from 1999.

http://query.nytimes.....fKirov Ballet

#25 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

He was a beautiful, powerful, exciting dancer. I saw Soloviev and Sizova in "Le Corsaire Pas de Deux", and I have not forgotten it to this day...I also saw him dance the Blue Bird pas de deux in "Sleeping Beauty". He was fantastic...probably the best I have ever seen. I have a pair of Soloviev's Blue Bird shoes, which my brother pinched from a box under the San Francisco Opera House stage when he was performing as a "grasshopper" in the Kirov's "Cinderella". :angel_not: I never was quite certain if they were Soloviev's, but I recently asked a former Kirov dancer (now teacher) for her opinion, and they definitely have his name on them....I treasure those shoes!

#26 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:01 AM

Am I dreaming, or haven't I seen a photograph of Soloviev as the hero in "The Little Humpbacked Horse"? He seems perfect for hte innocent hero -- the photo of him on this thread show him as the genius of Water, and maybe what I'm thinking of is him in "The stone Flower" (same archetype).

I'm asking because his image keeps coming to mind in hte wake of Yuri Possokhov's wonderful remake of The Firebird. Tiit Hellimets (who's Estonian and perfectly konws the style) played "Ivan" as much less the founding tsar and very much more the innocent youngest son, really vividly, quite wonderful -- it's very high praise to say that a dancer puts you in mind of Soloviev. When he started to dacne for the princess, tears sprang to my eyes -- he did a cabriole in double passe at a tilt -- like a folk-dance frog cabriole but with pointed feet, and it was iconic. "I love you."

#27 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:51 AM

acc'd to m.bremser's BALLET DICTIONARY, soloviev didn't danced ivanushka in LITTLE HUMPBACKED HORSE but only the 'genie of the water (or waters)' sometimes called 'ocean' as in the trio named 'the ocean and the pearls'
he certainly danced danila in THE STONE FLOWER so perhaps that's the image that you have in your memory 'gallery' of soloviev.
somewhat off topic, i'm posting a photocard of laurent novikov in his costume as 'ocean' c. 1917

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):