• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 12:59 PM

So who actually owns the rights to this ballet? Indeed to all of Ashton's ballets.

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 01:25 PM

Estelle, there was a similar situation with the Royal Danish Ballet in the 1980s, when Ashton was still alive. In that instance, Ashton deferred to Dowell, then director of the Royal, who, according to Kronstam (then AD of the RDB) said no, saying it would be like the RDB giving the Royal the rights to do Napoli. That was back in the days when one of the measures of a great company was having a unique repertory, though :wink:

Perky, and anyone else interested in the provisions of Ashton's will, Kathrine Sorley Walker wrote about that in a piece for DanceView that's now up in our archives. Scroll down: the material about the will is in the last two paragraphs:

Ashton Now and Then

#18 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:15 AM

The National Ballet of Canada did do it - see review at http://www.canoe.ca/...ourseasons.html

As I've never seen the Kudelka ballet mentioned here, I can't comment on the reviewer's opinion that it made Month look ridiculous...

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:22 AM

Hmmm. If one thinks that "twisting to Vivaldi" is cutting edge, I'm sure "Month" would look ridiculous!

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,045 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:47 AM

Croce's objection to the peignoir wasn't merely that the donning of it was a contrivance -- getting those ribbons on the floor to be kissed -- but that the kiss itself suggested that Beliaev's true affections are reserved for Natalya -- something that Turgenev had left deliberately unclear (and that's correct, at least in my translation by Isaiah Berlin -- Beliaev isn't insensitive to the feelings of others and he may care for Natalya, but he doesn't really comprehend the turmoil he's created among the women).

I haven't seen the ballet and so can't comment. There's also a lengthy discussion of the ballet in Julie Kavanagh's "Secret Muses."

#21 Alymer

Alymer

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 03:33 PM

In her last months as director Maina Gielgud had arrived at an agreement with Dowell to stage Month in the Country for the Royal Danish Ballet. But with her departure the project was abandoned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):