38 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 08:30 AM

Nikiya, I don't think they were either too short or too fat, but the other young women who were pushed were taller and thinner. I don't know their heights and weights. They did not have the body line then in vogue (Susan Jaffe, Amanda McKerrow, etc.)

#17 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 09:35 AM

As I recall, Carberry (also taken into ABT very young, I think at 14) was small and curvy. I don't recall Nancy being short, and she didn't have a weight problem, but she wasn't small-boned. Alexandra is right however in saying that neither of them had the stereotypical body being looked for at that time.

------------------
Leigh Witchel - dae@panix.com
[url="http://"http://members.aol.com/lwitchel"]Personal Page and Dance Writing[/url]
[url="http://"http://members.aol.com/dnceasever"]Dance as Ever[/url]

#18 Guest_pfmeja_*

Guest_pfmeja_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 31 August 2000 - 10:10 AM

just for perspective, also, deirdre carberry won a medal at the very first jackson competition in 1979. but as she was only 13 at the time, she is now barely 34! and her dancing was wonderful. we didn't get to see her enough in nyc.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 10:46 AM

Yep, Pfmeja - Carberry won the silver medal, junior division, at the 1979 Jackson IBC.

Alessandra Ferri, in fact, won the Gold Medal at the 1980 Prix de Lausanne at the age of 17. She was already a two-year 'veteran' of the Royal Ballet School when she competed. Ferri did not lose to Raffa...they competed in different years. Raffa won gold in Lausanne in 1981, at age 15. [That's the year when Washington Ballet's Amanda McKerrow won Gold at the Moscow IBC. Posted Image]

#20 Guest_Figure8s_*

Guest_Figure8s_*

Posted 31 August 2000 - 10:47 AM

If you can get your hands on a video copy of Twyla Tharp's "The Little Ballet" (broadcast on PBS in the 80's) you'll see what beautiful dancers they were (along with Elaine Kudo-who's just plain beautiful!!)

Fig

#21 Nikiya

Nikiya

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 01:41 PM

What happened to Elaine Kudo???

#22 Guest_Figure8s_*

Guest_Figure8s_*

Posted 31 August 2000 - 03:21 PM

Weren't Elaine Kudo and Cheryl Yeager featured in Dance Magazine article a long while back about dancers who've had babies??

#23 Guest_Titania2B_*

Guest_Titania2B_*

Posted 31 August 2000 - 04:15 PM

Jeannie:
I do not believe you have the facts right on the Prix de Lausanne competition. A documentary was made on the 1980 competition that Mrs Raffa and Mrs Ferri competeted in and Mrs Raffa was the winner of the overall competition while Mrs Ferri took the gold. It is quite an exciting documentary! This is also stated on the Prix de Lausanne website.

#24 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 31 August 2000 - 04:21 PM

Thanks, T. I appreciate your pointing this out. I stand corrected! Posted Image

#25 Nikiya

Nikiya

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2000 - 02:43 PM

Thanks so much everybody for filling me in on those lost dancers! :-)

#26 Yvonne

Yvonne

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 September 2000 - 06:58 PM

What ever happened to Starr Danias??

"The Little Ballet" (as mentioned above), is included on the Kulture video "Baryshnikov Dances Sinatra and more..." It's still around and not hard to find. You also get to see Elaine Kudo in "Sinatra Suite" and "Push Comes to Shove"!

#27 Nikiya

Nikiya

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2000 - 07:39 PM

I remember Starr from the Turning Point but was she in a company? She isn't shown dancing in that movie.

#28 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 September 2000 - 07:51 PM

Danias was a member of the Joffrey Ballet either at the time of Turning Point or shortly before it was made. I remember her performances with great pleasure, she was one of the more classical dancers in the company. She was also a very lovely looking woman.

#29 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 03 September 2000 - 04:57 AM

Speaking of the Joffrey (and ABT), what about Rebecca Wright? I remember her fondly, and wonder what she's up to these days.

#30 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 September 2000 - 09:35 AM

She is teaching, and runs ABT's Summer Intensive program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):