This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Legat system

I wonder if anyone could give me more information on the Legat system. I know that it was in use in Russia before Vaganova (i.e, before the revolution), and, according to the preface to Vaganova's "Basis Principles", it originated in the French School, but I know little else.

I would welcome more details on how the class was constructed, and what this teacher stressed most.

Just curious

Thankful Silvy

here are some of the books as listed in the dance collection of the n.y.public library

Heritage of a ballet master: Nicolas Legat. Compiled and edited by John Gregory in collaboration with André Eglevsky.

Imprint : New York, Dance Horizons, 1977.

Description : ix, 114 p. illus., facsims., music. 29 cm.

Notes : Part II, "Seven classes by Nicolas Legat": p. [33]-93. "Exercises at the bar (explanatory notes and music by Nicolas Legat)": p. 100-104; "Exercises in the centre (explanatory notes and music by Nicolas Legat)": p. 105-110. Includes index.

Nicolaeva-Legat, Nadine.

Title : Preparation for ballet. With a foreword by Sir Paul Dukes.

Imprint : London, Duckworth [1953]

Description : 132 p. illus., ports. 23 cm.

Nicolaeva-Legat, Nadine.

Title : Ballet education. With a poem by John Masefield, pref. by Sir Paul Dukes.

Imprint : London, G. Bles [1947]

Description : xxiii, 163 p. illus., port. 25 cm.

Legat, Nikolai Gustavovich, 1869-1937.

Title : The story of the Russian school; translated with a foreword by Sir Paul Dukes.

Imprint : London, British-Continental Press, ltd., 1932.

Description : 87 p. front., plates, ports. 21 cm.

Series : Artists of the dance ; [v. 8]

Notes : "List of ballets in which Nicolas Legat appeared; List of ballets produced by Nicolas Legat": p. 81-87.

Legat, Nikolai Gustavovich, 1869-1937.

Title : Ballet russe; memoirs of Nicolas Legat, translated, with a foreword, by Sir Paul Dukes, K. B. E. Dedicatory Poem by John Masefield. With 7 plates in colour and 24 in monotone.

Imprint : London, Methuen & Co., ltd. [1939]

Description : 3 pl. l., v-xv, 67, [1] p. front., plates (part col.) 27 cm.

Notes : "First published in 1939."

: "The publishers much regret that the first copies of this book to be circulated contained no statement to the effect that the text of M. Legat's memoirs appeared in substantially the same form in a small book entitled The story of the Russian school, which was published in 1932."--Note.

As rg suggested, all the books are very useful, especially the first, by John Gregory.

There is (was) a Legat School in England, based in Tring not far from London in my days. I believe they moved to another location - sure they didnt fold. You could find them on the web and write directly to them.

Just as an aside - Pehr Christian Johansson's favorite pupils were the Legat brothers, who in turn taught Cleo Nordi who was my teacher. How is that for tradition?

I have mostly done Legat style - very pure, simple, no frills - I liked it.