This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ballet nacional de cuba -- in CA

I think we have a forum for the National Ballet of Cuba, but it's okay to put it here. We may move it to that forum, once the thread plays out.

We have several southern Californians here -- I'd be interested in reading their take on this company too! Thanks for posting the question.

I have just enough information to probably get myself into trouble. A friend saw this ballet performance last night (Sat) and said that even though she wasn't sure she had the stamina to watch yet another Don Q. this year, she wanted to be loyal to Cuba (where she has family roots). I don't know the name of the Cuban "Kitri," but apparantly she was able to hold several of her balances for as long as 10 seconds!!! And the crowd responded to those balances and her incredible fouettes with lots of applause (etc). The Cerritos center was packed (this is a good thing), and my friend and her family (including her dd, a friend of my dd) had a wonderful time. One interesting note that she had regarding the choreography in the dream scene, she said that "Amour" did the variation that normally is danced by Kitri in the other versions that we've seen. In this version, Amour did very widely spaced and slow toe hops, that showed amazing control. My daughter is working on this same variation, and wondered which variation Kitri did during that scene. :shrug:

. . .  he said that "Amour" did the variation that normally is danced by Kitri in the other versions that we've seen.  In this version, Amour did very widely spaced and slow toe hops, that showed amazing control.  My daughter is working on this same variation, and wondered which variation Kitri did during that scene. :shrug:

No dream scene variation for Kitri -- just Amour and Q of the Ds. :wink:

I know.