ballet nacional de cuba -- in CA

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 piccolo

piccolo

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:34 AM

Did anyone see either of their performances in San Diego this week?

(Does this post belong on the non-European companies board?)

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:45 AM

I think we have a forum for the National Ballet of Cuba, but it's okay to put it here. We may move it to that forum, once the thread plays out.

We have several southern Californians here -- I'd be interested in reading their take on this company too! Thanks for posting the question.

#3 Andre Yew

Andre Yew

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:51 AM

I'll be there on Saturday, November 15 at Cerritos. Anyone else going? It will be the 3rd Don Q for me for this year. :wub:

--Andre

#4 Maxi3D

Maxi3D

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:19 AM

Me too, I'm going to the Sat. show at Cerritos. It will be mine third viewing also for this year. I'm ready for another ballet after this one :(

#5 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 03:56 PM

I'm like Andre Yew and Maxi3D: much as I'd love to see this company I don't think I have another Don Q in me!

Giannina

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 04:00 PM

Minkus does that to you :(

#7 pj

pj

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 04:57 PM

I have just enough information to probably get myself into trouble. A friend saw this ballet performance last night (Sat) and said that even though she wasn't sure she had the stamina to watch yet another Don Q. this year, she wanted to be loyal to Cuba (where she has family roots). I don't know the name of the Cuban "Kitri," but apparantly she was able to hold several of her balances for as long as 10 seconds!!! And the crowd responded to those balances and her incredible fouettes with lots of applause (etc). The Cerritos center was packed (this is a good thing), and my friend and her family (including her dd, a friend of my dd) had a wonderful time. One interesting note that she had regarding the choreography in the dream scene, she said that "Amour" did the variation that normally is danced by Kitri in the other versions that we've seen. In this version, Amour did very widely spaced and slow toe hops, that showed amazing control. My daughter is working on this same variation, and wondered which variation Kitri did during that scene. :shrug:

#8 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 07:51 PM

. . .  [S]he said that "Amour" did the variation that normally is danced by Kitri in the other versions that we've seen.  In this version, Amour did very widely spaced and slow toe hops, that showed amazing control.  My daughter is working on this same variation, and wondered which variation Kitri did during that scene. :shrug:

No dream scene variation for Kitri -- just Amour and Q of the Ds. :wink:

I know.

#9 pj

pj

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the info carbro. We too were a bit surprised; maybe she had to save her strength for the fouettes. :wink:

#10 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 09:37 PM

Or stuck in a balance in the wings! :wink:

#11 siu

siu

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 09:58 AM

I just posted my impressions of their last performance Saturday at the Cerritos Center. Look it up at the Ballet Nacionald de Cuba thread and give me your comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):