34 replies to this topic

#31 Thalictum

Thalictum

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 05:08 PM

Thalictum is one of my favorite perennials -- commonly known as Meadow Rue.
Grows six feet plus and sends up sprays of little frothy purple flowers

#32 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 08:06 PM

Joe, the same thing happened with Lynn Seymour, who relates the story in "Striking Balanchine." Tudor just lost interest in her and stopped paying attention to her in the sessions.

atm711, I'll check out Lyon, she is in the little four-mintue snip.

#33 Patricia

Patricia

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:33 PM

On Friday I saw Amanda McKerrow's Hagar and she was brilliant. She's always been at her best in the Tudor repertory and never better than in PILLAR. She conveyed character by simply walking across the stage, lost in her unhappiness as the other couples danced around her. It was a complete characterization.

The last time I saw PILLAR was w/Sallie Wilson. Honestly, back then I had NO idea what this ballet was about. :) I do remember Ms. Wilson and fellow Teaneck, NJ native Ruth Mayer as her gorgeous Older Sister. I don't think anyone has mentioned that Monique Menieur danced the Older Sister in the current revival. She, too, is too gorgeous. It was good seeing her dance again! :unsure:

#34 Sulan

Sulan

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 03:05 PM

Its so interesting to hear everyone's account of past and present portrayals of Hagar and the younger sister. I saw Pillar of Fire for the first time a few weeks ago... I'd been so looking forward to it, but was quite disappointed. I think part of what I was reacting to was what I perceived as a lack of subtlety in both Kent and Reyes' performances. Now that I hear everyone’s reactions, I think I’ll definitely keep this ballet on my “to see” list...

#35 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:53 AM

I think I've seen every Hagar at ABT since Sallie Wilson &, for me, Amanda takes first prize. It was a searing performance (the Friday one) which brought me to tears for only the second time in this ballet (Lise Houlton being the first). She seemed one great pent-up scream waiting to happen; no theatrics, no making faces, no imposing of "drama", just truly expressive & beautiful dancing.

She was brilliant as the Younger Sister many years ago, also the best in that role, such an oblivious & self-involved little minx! It seemed so out of character at the time as she was the classical hope for the future.

I've loved her since I first saw her at age 15 with the Washington Ballet in a Choo San Goh ballet called "Fives" - an airborne feather of a girl. The following year she won her big prize in Russia & shortly thereafter suffered a hip injury which has plagued her ever since, leading to cancellations &, eventually, to a curtailment of her repertoire.

But please oh please, Terpsichore, let us have one more Amanda Giselle!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):