This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monopoly(R) Ballet Board

not to mention Bournonville.

Ooh! Great idea for yet another kind of board game--Lives of the Great Choreographers. With things like "create La Bayadère. Receive 20,000 rubles." Or "Illness forces you to delegate to Ivanov. Lose a turn."

I'm waiting for LeighWitchel to suggest some Chance cards: Citywide Black-out, lose 3 rehearsals (move back 3 spaces).... Bizarre terrorist attack, (lose opera house?)

Other Chance cards would have to include Principal Dancer injures self during Dress Rehearsal, and Blizzard (forfeit House)? Union Strike (pay fee)

Instead of Pass Go, I think making it to the next fiscal year would suffice.....

Community Cards should include grants, don't you think? oh, and of course.."great video", collect bookings.

But Jail.... hmmm..... what would be equivalent? Lose Theater? Lose Artistic Director? How about simply "Economic Recession", lose one turn?

Perhaps instead of houses & hotels, it could be venues; 250 seat house/ 1500 seat house.

How about Marvin Gardens for Bournonville? I actually think that Parker Brothers/Hasbro could be talked into this. They've put out a "Lord of the Rings" version of the original games and a couple additional variations. For a real eye-opener about Monopoly, visit the Forbes Collection for an assortment of printed and homemade Monopoly games. I got a big kick out of the "Kursk Train" in Russian!

I like being fined for sitting in your costume. :)

Another gamepiece: the bathroom scale ... ouch! :D

Of course there's worse than "gain 10 pounds." How about "gain 10 years?" :D

I keep getting this wicked thought - :D - "Lose a turn. Pack your bags and take the next train from NYC to Podunk, teaching at a Dolly Dinkle school."

Or the thinly veiled: "Congratulations. You keep a diary of your first fledgling season. It gets published and the royalties pour in. Collect $1,000 from each player and advance to Boardwalk. If it's already owned, conduct a hostile takeover."

Carbro's "I want Barocco" post spurred new thoughts. We could have the Collector's Edition. Like rich guys who want to own a Da Vinci drawing so that no one but them can look at it, the players are all individual collectors who want to own ballets. And perhaps block other players, artistic directors, from having them.....

:yes: This is an entirely new (and brilliant) idea! So one would pick ballets to be featured on the game board, and different moves and cards like chance, etc. would affect one's ownership of them! Hmm. Now we have to start either a list of ballets to feature, or another thread for each of the great games we're inventing!

Mme. Hermine, you've got it. A new Games forum :) (only kidding...)

Good points. There are two ways to go. Collector 1: The players are all really truly ballet fans. They love the art form, they want to own the ballets for their own, admittedly selfish, but otherwise benign purposes: viewing on demand, with their very own favorite casts, etc. And so the only conflict would be that two of us want Apollo, say. The streets would be renamed ballets, and the color blocks would be choreographers. If you're bidding on Balanchine, and I land on a Balanchine square, I could buy the ballet just to get you, or in the hopes that we could make a trade for a beloved Forsythe work :D

Version 2. Ballet Wars. The players are artistic directors or kingmakers whose sole purpose is power. We'd be after ballets because they were audience hits -- we'd be trying to guess which would be hits, so the chance cards could be a mix of reviews and/or box office receipts -- OR we could be after a prestige block of ballets -- Fokine revivals, say -- and I'd try to block you from getting Scheherezade or Firebird simply because I'm mean and nasty :D

I wanna play. Anybody remember Diplomacy? We could have a Ballet verison of that.

And if anyone from Parker Brothers is reading this, I do freelance :D

Both! Ballets could have a certain number of points for each. For example, a less artistic ballet might be valuable because of high popularity points (Bourne's Swan Lake), whereas a less popular ballet could still be valuable because of artistic merit points (Liebeslieder Walzer). Most valuable, of course, would be the ones that have both (Petipa/Ivanov Swan Lake).

And how about this: Collectors would have to first gain resources (money, dancers, venue, &c), then once they had those, they could obtain ballets to perform, and if they didn't perform a ballet often enough (say, once every ten turns or something), it would be "lost," and no one would be allowed to perform it. However, if it's notated, the original collector could not perform it, but someone else with enough "resources" would. Ooh, it's getting complicated! This is fun :)

These ideas are fun!

I have a new-in-the-box version of "Make Your Own -Opoly". I'm happy to send it to anyone who wants to play with this idea and make up a version to play with. Just report back to us how well it works!

I think it requires a PC to print out the cards, probably with some type of very old software!