This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Everyday 11am; 5pm; 11pm; ch75 have an hour of CAS. They feature opera, music, animation videos and always at least one piece of ballet video. They show a lot of Nureyev ,Bruhn ,Makarova ,Fracci , Cojocaru ,Guillem and others also works by Kylian Duarte ,Balanchine , Kudelka.I guess all videos they show are somewhere on tape ,but it’s impossible to have everything.

You can use http://www.classicartsshowcase.org to find out more.

indeed whenever i travel and have the hotel room tv on i invariably find the channel. i don't have it at home so i haven't looked at it GREAT length, but you are correct so far as i can tell that all the items shown are already on commercial tape here and there. however, as you know, many such tapes are not currently on the market, so these snippets may be the only way some people have of seeing the footage. likewise the highpoints these clips provide can serve to remind one of the highpoints on tapes that one hasn't watched in a while, etc. etc. i recall more than one snippet's triggering a light in my head: ah ha, so that's where that number is from! etc.

here's to more such showcases.

RG, most residents of New York City can get it over the air on Ch. 25 at odd times. Before I had cable, Ch. 25 was one of the clearest stations my set received. Bonne chance! :wink:

I haven't had the good luck that Gabby has had in seeing Cojocaru clips, but I really love the very old archival bits that pop up from time to time.

Many of their clips come from videos either released, no longer available or only available in Europe. One night I saw the video Ferri did with Sting to music by bach, directed by Ferri's husband. It wasn't commercially released in the U.S., only shown as a short film, mostly in Europe, so it was nice to see and, frankly, one of the things I liked Ferri most in.

In San Francisco, it's on KTMP, which on non-cable TV is channel 32. An irritating habit the station has is cutting off the video in the middle when it's time for a different program.

I know the sources of most of the dance excerpts, but occasionally there's something that you can't just order from amazon.com. I saw something I coveted -- some old (early 1950's?) performances by members of a Moiseyev-type troupe. They had so much spirit in those days, and didn't dance just like ballet dancers, as so many of today's folk troupes do. I found the website of the distributor, but couldn't find this performance. I was told that they have a bigger collection that what's listed, and they promised to look for it if I promised to become a member at $40. I agreed to become a member if they actually found the video. But they didn't, and so I didn't.

In Seattle it's an auxiliary station of our public TV station KCTS, and it airs on cable on Comcast channel 75. It's on every day between 4-5 pm and 5 am; they loop through the entire broadcast several times a day.

A co-worker once called it "Highbrow MTV."

For the past year I have kept a blank video tape in my player and I have recorded many of the excerpts---it plays on two channels in my area, and while surfing I generally 'hit it' and record---my tape is almost filled. One of these days I will play it---I have forgotten what's on it.