Pavlenko is triumphant at Covent Garden!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_KBfan_*

Guest_KBfan_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 28 October 2003 - 05:40 PM

This morning I came across this rave review by Clement Crisp, the London Financial Times dance critic, dated October 28, 2003. :ermm:

"With Darcy Bussell on maternity leave, the Royal Ballet has taken the excellent
decision to invite Daria Pavlenko from the Kirov Ballet to replace her in
La Bayadere. What Pavlenko brings to the role of Nikiya is entire understanding.
La Bayadere is in her bones, its manner as much part of her identity
as MacMillan's choreography is the grain in Bussell's art.

Pavlenko knows, and showed perfectly at her debut in the Royal Ballet staging
Tuesday night, how the machinery of the role - its drama; its dance splendours -
can take a ballerina, and the ballet, to glory. She has an emotional veracity that
never bursts the bounds of style; she has an academic grace that, in those
sublimities which come with the Shades scene, illuminates the central matter of the
dance - Nikiya's luminous beauty and her all-forgiving love for Solor. 'Remember
your vow' she breathes to him, poised in arabesque as he kneels by her. 'Be true
to me.' All this Pavlenko offered with loveliest clarity, the dance clear and beautiful."

[NOTE: Quote trimmed by Leigh Witchel - please note the board's policy on quoting and copyright - http://balletalert.i...?showtopic=6261 ]

http://search.ft.com...id=031028000902

#2 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 05:51 PM

Sigh. Wish I'd seen it.....
more impressions, anyone?

#3 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 02:57 PM

Well, I'm waiting patiently...has no-one seen Daria ? :wink:
So far, I've found confort in the reviews of C.Crisp (F.T.) and Ism.Brown (The Telegraph) !
Wow, while reading that, I could beat myself for not travelling to London.

It's obvious that she's at a key-point in her career and no-one in London can comment on her performances ? Spotting a real ballerina isn't that difficult :wacko:

#4 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 12:55 AM

Don't beat yourself too hard :clapping:, Viviane, but yeah, being so close to London it's a shame you couldn't make it. A few more days of patience and DanceView Times will bring some consolation (I hope).

#5 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:43 AM

Thank you Marc, it was worthwhile waiting :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):