No Wang for 2004 NutcrackerBoston Ballet must find a new venue

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 jbtlse

jbtlse

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:18 PM

I am wondering if I have missed something regarding the Wang and Nutcracker 2004. In a letter on Boston Ballet letterhead to the parents of Nutcracker children regarding Nutcracker pick up changes (made to lighten the conjestion caused by double parking etc) they state: "Help us keep the good will that we have been receiving as a result of the Wang's decision for next years Nutcracker going and please do not double park" Am I reading too much into this or does it appear that the BB has been granted a one year stay?

Moderators, if this is too speculative please delete.

#47 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:23 PM

I read this as "help keep us on the good side of the public approval fence. Let's minimize the inconvenience to others: don't double park. We don't want to give anyone ammunition for complaints."

Just my thought on it.

#48 jbtlse

jbtlse

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:49 PM

Just came on to say "false alarm"--probably would be better worded as PUBLIC SYMPATHY/good will (like the buyout of the private performance and the $3 million gift) as Wang seems to be in no position to be generous (according to article in Globe today).
Anyway fingers still crossed!

#49 nlkflint

nlkflint

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:23 PM

In today's Boston Globe, link in Todays Liniks section:

The Wang has also become a target in the national dance world, where ballet leaders have criticized the decision and the way the Wang operates. They question the center's priorities and its top administrator, Spaulding, who despite two years of losses is paid $536,159 a year, more than almost any other nonprofit performing arts center head in the country. Michael Kaiser, the president of the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts -- which has a $120 million budget, 10 times larger than the Wang's -- makes $548,113.

Over a half a million dollars. I would not exactly consider him a CEO of a major corporation.

Had no idea an administrator of a large performing arts center made that kind of money, given what many performing artists make such as ballet dancers and orchestra musicians.

#50 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:53 PM

I think he's overpaid too, but in all fairness, dancers and musicians aren't expected to go out and bring in millions of dollars personally.

#51 citibob

citibob

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 08:59 PM

I heard a creative suggestion today: maybe BB (or anyone) could offer a "buy two get one free" type of deal: buy two Nutcracker tickets and get a free ticket to a future repertory concert that the company doesn't expect to sell out. This could be a good way to try to get more audience to realize that ballet is more than Nutcracker.

#52 fendrock

fendrock

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 05:06 AM

Actually, I heard that the company was doing some telemarketing to offer the following mini-subscription package: Nutcracker ticket for after Christmas + free companion ticket to the Nutcracker, plus single tickets to the remaining two story ballets.

#53 bbfan

bbfan

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 10:22 AM

Boston Ballet has a new home for its Nutcracker! For 2004 a "special edition" Nutcracker will be performed at the Colonial Theater. In 2005-2007 the full scale Nutcracker will be performed at the newly renovated Opera House. This was announced in a press conference with Mayor Menino this morning. You can read all about it at the ballet's site:

Menino, Boston Ballet and Clear Channel Entertainment Keep 'Nutcracker' Dancing New Home Secured for Boston Ballet's Holiday Tradition

#54 fendrock

fendrock

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:24 PM

Does anyone know how the capacity of these venues compares to that of the Wang?

I also wonder how they will handle different sets for two different venues -- although it's good they already know now that they need to plan for that.

#55 nlkflint

nlkflint

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:22 PM

Looks good. Except for the Clear Channel part. Perhaps Clear Channel can help to vindicate itself. Or not. Clear Channel can make for "strange bedfellows."

#56 bbfan

bbfan

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 06:26 AM

According to today's article in the Herald, the Colonial has about 1700 seats, and the Opera House 2500. That makes the Opera House smaller than the Wang in terms of seating, but that might not be a bad thing for audience members - from the back/top of the balcony in the Wang the figures on the stage are pretty small.

The Globe editorial and article give credit to Broadway in Boston/Clear Channel for working to provide Nutcracker a new home, so maybe they will redeem themselves. Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing what the "special edition" Nutcracker will be like, and to seeing the renovated Opera House. The Colonial has also been renovated, in 90's, so both theaters should be nice venues.

Am glad that crisis has been resolved and we can think instead of the programs Boston Ballet will be presenting in mid-March.

#57 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 07:10 AM

Sounds like a good solution. N*******r (refuse to say the "n" word in February) is a large money maker for most companies. Perhaps BB can do a few performances in other New England Cities as a rehersal tour before settling in to bean town.
Bringing in the Christmas spectacular will help Boston's Nutz in the long run, making Boston a christmas destination for out of town tourists. NYC is the unofficial Christmas Capital of the world, and the Radio City spectacular helps a great deal.

MJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):