This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

HGO Radio Broadcasts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 04:41 PM

Four different broadcasters will be presenting Houston Grand Opera performances, that is NPR's World of Opera, NYC area WQXR's Saturday Afternoon at the Opera, the European Broadcast Union, and Australian Broadcasting Corporation. The full press release can be viewed on HGO's website:
http://www.houstongr...essReleaseID=15

The first upcoming broadcast on Saturday, October 18, (on NPR and EBU) is La Traviata featuring Renée Fleming, Paul Charles Clarke, and Bruno Caproni. WQXR listeners will be receiving this November 29 and December 7 for ABC.

I'm very excited about HGO getting all this international radio play time! :thumbsup:

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 03:37 PM

Thanks -- this is good news. It's nice that NPR is involved -- they've been broadcasting less and less music. It will be great to have more listening options, especially since I'm now reduced to hearing the Met broadcasts on an AM station that I can barely receive.

#3 salzberg

salzberg

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 04:17 PM

It's more likely that your local NPR affiliate is picking up less and less of NPR's music programming (and the Met broadcasts are not an NPR program), something the network has little control over.

Call (or better yet, write) your local station manager.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 04:58 PM

Thanks. I actually didn't mean to imply that NPR had been broadcasting the Met and had stopped -- only that the show is hard to find in my neck of the woods.

As for NPR -- I've written, threatened to stop contributing, all that good stuff. Not much luck so far. There was a piece in the Times awhile back that said that NPR had been deliberately cutting back on music programming to make room for more talk, because the latter was more popular with the paying customers -- evidently music lovers complain but don't write checks, a point I do understand. I hope that the late Joan Kroc's largesse frees up some dough for more music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):