This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Using the music of dead composers and performers to sell stuff on television is old news, however distressing. But I've been startled lately to hear part of the Verdi Requiem, the terrifying Dies Irae (Day of Wrath), as the soundtrack for a Toyota Highlander splashing through puddles. I don't know if the perpetrators of this commercial know this music has to do with the Last Judgment, but I suppose it is appropriate, in a way -- because whoever's responsible deserves to be consigned straight to hell. :thumbsup:

Sorta reminds me of the Air Force recruiting commercial that showed all Air Force-y things going on, while a male chorus sang "Wild blue Yonder" in the background. They sang the words to every line except two, "We live in fame,/Go down in flame,/...." In other words, join the Air Force AND DIE! Not a bad bit of sound editing, now that I think of it.

I recall an old Microsoft ad that showed the words "Have a nice day" or something to that effect (whatever MS's old slogan was) while playing part of the Mozart Requiem to which the words (in Latin, of course) were something like "The damned shall be convicted to the flames of Hell."