This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

My principal has been recommending this book to the faculty. She feels it gives fascinating insights into how the autistic mind works.

This book is on my list, too. I plan to read it next, after I finish Three Junes (which you recommeded, and which I am enjoying so far).

Hi vagansmom,

My daughter picked this book out when we were in London (it was in the young adults section)--she hasn't read it yet, but I did. The narrator reminded me so much of a preschooler I taught last year. I would highly recommend this book--it offers a unique perspective. READ IT!

Well, that does it. This is the second time this book has been mentioned to me in just a few days. I have a child in my class this year diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism or PDD. It seems like this book just might help me get to know this child a little better.

Yikes, I just took on two more tutoring jobs, both with Asperger's kids. Lately all the recommendations that come my way are for these types of kids.

I head to the bookstore tomorrow. I've read most of the nonfiction books about Asperger's and I've worked with many kids who fit that profile but the idea of reading a novel written in the first person by an Asperger's teen is quite intriguing. I'm looking forward to it.

I finished this book last night. It really is a wonderful peek into the thinking of someone with Asperger's. I found the book to be funny but also quite poignant. Most importantly, I think it reminds us that the perpetual anxiety experienced by some individuals can cause them to act very unconventionally and, to the rest of us, crazily. In this story, we learn that such actions from this young man's perspective really do make perfect sense.

It's a timely read for me. I've been frustrated in my work with a particular student with autism and I'd forgotten just how anxious he must feel.

Whether or not you're associated with anyone on the autistic spectrum, this book is still a worthy read. We can see bits of ourselves in this character too. We all have some "autistic" qualities but a lucky accident of birth has provided most of us with a sensible distribution of them.