This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Balanchine/Brahms-Shoenburg Quartet

--->This link will take you directly to the notes on the ballet.

There are four movements, each dressed in different shades of pink (or rose) and gray. The women wear knee-length tutus.

The cast is as follows:

• 1st Mvt: One lead couple, one female soloist, four men, eight women.
  • 2nd Mvt: Lead couple, three women
  • 3rd Mvt: Lead couple, three demisoloist women, lots and lots of women (24?)
  • 4th Mvt: Lead couple, eight couples.

I especially love the moody, mysterious Andante (2nd Movement) and the teasing, sexy Rondo (4th).

Like carbro, I love the 2nd and 4th movements. Early on, those movements were danced by NYCB's simultaneously reigning ballerinas, Patricia MacBride and Suzanne Farrell. MacBride remains unmatched in the Intermezzo. Suzanne was originally partnered in the Rondo by Jacques d'Amboise, but I particularly enjoyed watching her in it a while later, when her gypsy hair ribbons used to whip across Peter Martins's face. :wallbash:

Also (and I think this may be pertinent) there are slightly differing versions out there. PNB, for instance, does the version that Russell and Stowell remember from the 60's, and some steps are a bit different from the version currently done in NYCB. I talked to Russell in '00 about this - their source is an archival tape done in the late 60s as the beginning of the Jerome Robbins Archive.

To add to Farrell fan's casting recollections - the third movement was a vehicle for Edward Villella (and I believe Allegra Kent) - it has an innocence to it, but also a slightly military feel. You need to be a good jumper to do it.

Hope this is useful!