This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cubans prevented from dancing Sylphides

What we've learned from the software world is that copyrighted, proprietary software has a short life --- it is lost as soon as the company that wrote it decides it is no longer in their interests to continue developing and marketing the software. Software that is NOT copyrighted in the traditional sense --- and is freely available to anyone who wishes to look at or use it --- seems to stay around forever and keep growing and improving.

It seems that the same is true for ballets. Ballets that are tightly held by their creators live a LOT shorter lives than ballets that are not. That is one reason Balanchine's works are used so much these days --- because he put a system in place to allow and encourage others to use them.

Does anyone know if they are dancing Les Sylphides in their stops in other cities? My hopes were raised for the Chicago program when I read the program on some website (either Ticketmaster or at the venue, the Auditorium Theatre). However, the newspaper advertises Swan Lake Act II and the black swan pas de deux.

I don't see how that (LesS) would be possible, TF, if ABT owns exclusive rights. I was sorry not to have seen the co. in the Fokine. The Act II Swan excerpts gave the best moments of the evening, though. It was the beautiful corps work that made it so, and I believe their previously planned presentation would have shown them to even better advantage.

I don't know if the exclusivity is nationwide, worldwide, or simply in NYC. And I would like to take this opportunity to correct an error of fact that I perpetrated earlier about Michael Fokine, Nicholas' father :blushing: ; he is not an attorney, he was working as a market researcher when he returned to graduate school to continue an academic pursuit in Philosophy. I wish him well and regret the error.

(PS. Nobody leaned on me to do this, I discovered my mistake and felt ethically bound to retract and apologize for it.)

I asked, Carbro, because the NY Times article linked in the first post says that ABT has the exclusive rights in New York (don't know if that's state or city -- I assume city). I was hoping that for once our provincial status would play to our advantage.

However, I can see that it would be difficult for the Cubans to transport two sets of costumes, etc., so I wondered if ABT's unfortunate decision had a much wider repercussion. If so, they really got a big bang out of their investment in the rights -- and have caused even more harm and ill will than they bargained for.

Anyone know what's happened in other stops on the tour?