This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Suzanne Farrell Ballet tour reviews

Dale, Yes Apollo was danced instead of Chaconne with Peter Boal-an outstanding performance by him. Also Tzigane with natalia Magnicaballi and Momchil Mladenov-a delight although I keep Suzanne Farrell in my head dancing it. Variations for Orchestra,and Divertimento No.15 with Cheryl Sladkin,Jennifer Fournier,Shanon Parsley,Runquiao Du.Chan Hon Goh and Bonnie Pickard danced as well. As one who is not a dance critic I can just say it was a beautiful representation of Balanchine danced with great integrity.

Gee, I hadn't even considered the fact of no live music. :):( Uh, oh, I doubt there'll be any in Brooklyn either... I know it's not the worst thing in the world, but it sure does make something really good even better - don't you think?

PK, did you feel the lack of live music was a major detraction or were you just so smitten that it didn't matter? :)

I think the days of live music for companies of this size are long gone, unfortunately. It would double the ticket price -- anyone like live music that much :) Unless a choreographer/company limits the rep to works that can be accompanied by a piano, or a string quartet (as Eliot Feld used to do) we're stuck with tape.

It's gotten to the point that I'm shocked that there's an orchestra! Even mid-sized companies do tape now

I would pay double for live music, but no one has solicited my opinion, for some reason. The company will perform in the Bay Area next month, although it's going to be a Tchaikovsky mixed bill -- Meditation, Waltz of the Flowers, Swan Lake pas, and Serenade. I'm sorry to miss the Apollo program.

Guest Angel2Be
The company will perform in the Bay Area next month, although it's going to be a Tchaikovsky mixed bill -- Meditation, Waltz of the Flowers, Swan Lake pas, and Serenade. I'm sorry to miss the Apollo program.

Are you referring to the Berkeley performances? I am seeing them at the Flint Center (in Cupertino) and I think it will be the Apollo program.

ANgel2be, they've changed the program some -- instead of Serenade, they're going to be doing Chaconne (which was one of Suzanne's great roles, so it is not too disappointing a change, though I'm ALWAYS up for Serenade)....

Check it out -- there was another small change as well, I think -- not enough to make me want my money back, but it IS a change....

I just got tickets for Suzanne Farrell at Royce Hall, UCLA for Saturday night...anyone else going? I am so busy but decided that I just could not miss it.....they are doing Chaconne and Mozartiana plus two more pieces. Haven't heard a word about the casting. Peter Boal was pictured in the paper with an article about Suzanne and this L.A. venue. It did not mention if he was dancing this weekend or not. Not too thrilled about the program... would have loved seeing her setting of Serenade, Apollo and even Waltz of the Flowers. I would assume this performance will have canned music..... :)

Thanks for the tip, Leigh! Your were absolutely correct....the program has changed since I last went to the UCLA web site listing. The ballets being danced are Divert., Variations for Orchestra, Tzigane and Apollo, or so it reads today! This is a great program. I am more upbeat about the long drive I must make to get to this theatre. :)

Guest Angel2Be

The performance at the Flint Center in California was cancelled. :unsure:

I assume this is because not enough tickets were sold? It is impossible to get a ballet audience in my area. The Kirov could come and they probably still wouldn't sell out. :dry:

I'm sorry for you Angel2Be. :unsure:

You might want to read the article posted in today's links forum. I found it quite interesting - yes, much I'd heard or read before, but somehow this article got me to thinking a bit more about Ms. Farrell's past and present together. B)

I saw the Friday, November 7 show at UCLA, and here are some quick impressions. It was the best Apollo I've ever seen, ironically Dionysian in its conception, with Peter Boal especially expressive, and what a magnificent dancer he is as well, technically and expressively. The three Muses were also great, and seemed to have equal stature, whereas other performances seem to emphasize Terpsichore. I'm not sure the extended version offers any more than the shortened version.

Variations for Orchestra is amazingly creepy and cool. What a unique and effective idea (I don't want to give away this ballet's cool twist). I hope this ballet is performed more often, though that may spoil its novelty.

The emotional drama brought out in all four pieces (Divertimento No. 15 and Tzigane were the other two) really amazed me --- the pieces were still fresh and can speak to us. Definitely go see this company if they're performing near you.

edit: typo

--Andre

Edited by Andre Yew