This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What countries are represented by our posters?

Pretty soon, I'm going to do a read through of this thread and make a preliminary "accounting" of what countries are represented here. I know there are more of you out there, and we'd love to hear from you.

Just as an aside here, I believe that when Ballet Talk changed its server, etc., certain things didn't always make the cut - as in poster's "locations"...so if you do want people to know where you hail from - whether it's Germany or Kansas - go in to "My Controls" and update your profile, if you feel like it, that is. :blink:

Guest A local foreigner in Almaty

Belgium here !

yeah yeah I know there were other belgians faster than me :) ,

but this is a belgian living in Almaty :) .

Think that makes the first for Kazakhstan :yes:

Hi Funny Face :D

I have left from Almaty, Kazakhstan for Toronto, Canada just few months ago, and before then I've managed to put several adds on this site about the Almaty National Ballet. I am a great fan of the Almaty National Ballet and Opera and a friend to some ballerinas and dancers of our ballet (and am very proud of it :D)

If you would like to read about 'what kind of ballet culture' is present there, i can tell you briefly that it is based on mainly St.Petersburg classic ballet school - as famous Russian ballerina Galina Ulanova has visited Almaty during the WWII and aftewards - she helped with staging Swan Lake and several other ballets. Besides, several of the soloists who are dancing in Almaty Ballet right now, have graduated from the Vaganova Ballet Academy, St. Petersburg, and several others from the Moscow Ballet Academy. So it is really classic and is supported by the Russian ballet traditions.

On the other hand, National Ballet and Opera are indeed using Kazakh national folk treasures and there are some ballets and operas created by the legends, myths and historical events of the Kazakh people. Kazakh national costumes are presented in those operas and ballets with great details and colors. THey are really beatiful, and i can't wait until i gain the necessary number of adds placed in this forum, so I would finally have a permit to start placing photographs i've taken of our ballet dancers and opera singers to share them with the rest of the people who visit this site!! :)

IF you are interested in getting an idea about who dances in Almaty right now and what are they like, please go to the European Ballet Companies section on this site and closer to the bottom of the list there must be Almaty National Ballet listed - there are several adds for you to read. I've also listed a repertoir of the Almaty National Ballet there.

Have fun!

Marianna :D

Caro, Eve27, kleighfer, Adrienne, temple dancer, floss, ivy'smama, Swiss Chard, A local foreigner in Almaty, and Marianna - many thanks to you all for helping to create a more united group of nations and countries here on Ballet Talk - and for the extras you bring to the cyber table as well! :toot: It makes for a much more well rounded conversation. :gossip: :D

Well, I am from the UK, born in London, cor blimey gov'nor. I am half Hungarian...so I have Hungarian blood in me, and I spent two years living in San Francisco. So any other Hungarians whole, half or quarter out there? in Balletalertdom? :grinning:

Hi Xena. The closest I can come is having relatives on my maternal grandmother's side from Hungary. And, including a Hungarian suite in our dance company's repertoire. I swear, you all sound so exotic. I am also wondering how many of you who have posted in this thread are multi-lingual.

Guest gingembre

I have to add, I'm in NYC, but I am part Belgian :D Oddly, I run across quite a few of them here, and online, quite a phenomenon when you consider how small a country it is...

As the year is drawing to a close, thought I'd update this thread a bit by combining Alexandra's list with a few additions we've picked up since then. Naturally there may well be other posters who haven't added to this list, but it's ever growing, I'm sure. :unsure:

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Brazil

Canada

Cyprus

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Israel

Italy

Japan

Kazakhstan

Netherlands

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Poland

Russian Federation

Singapore

South Africa

Sweden

United Kingdom

Uruguay

US Military

And of course there are posters from certain countries, such as Lithuania, who are now living in the US and other places, too. :grinning:

As the year is drawing to a close, thought I'd update this thread a bit by combining Alexandra's list with a few additions we've picked up since then. Naturally there may well be other posters who haven't added to this list, but it's an ever growing list, I'm sure. :unsure:

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Brazil

Canada

Cyprus

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Israel

Italy

Japan

Kazakhstan

Netherlands

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Poland

Russian Federation

Singapore

South Africa

Sweden

United Kingdom

Uruguay

US Military

And of course there are posters from certain countries, such as Lithuania, who are now living in the US and other places, too. :yes: