• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Tiffany

Tiffany

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 06:09 PM

Quote from Ari's link:

Ms Volochkova has as many critics as she has supporters and the Russian press has reported that the dispute may have had more to do with her ego than with her size.

But she denied she was difficult and accused theatre's director of finding excuses to prevent her working at the theatre.
---------

Hmmm, so was the real issue her weight or being difficult to work with?

Don't know if she is difficult or not, but I have trouble believing she is "too heavy". She certainly looks thin in the photo in the article, and sounds thin based on her quoted height/weight.

I have had quite a few people who don't dance stop me to say how ridiculous ballet is because Volochkova was fired for her weight, which they consider too thin...this entire issue didn't make the world of ballet look very good to the general public. :) Or at least the general public near me. :wink:

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:07 AM

So now you have an answer for those people - "It isn't weight, it's office politics run amok."

It would appear that V. did not get much in the way of punitive damages, but was awarded back pay. Still, the theater is appealing, so the Moscow public may not be seeing her with the company anytime very soon.

#18 Guest_Tatiana_*

Guest_Tatiana_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 December 2003 - 03:57 AM

Volochkova is taken back to the Bolshoi (according to court decision) and offered to dance Mirtha in January 2004 "Giselles". One of the reasons of this offer is that she still doesn't have a partner in the Bolshoi.

Volochkova told the press that noone can make her dance Mirtha, and the theatre must give her back her principal parts. "If the Bolshoi wants war, then let it be war" - she said.

The press reminded the readers that Plisetskaya danced Mirtha many times (and never danced Giselle) and probably didn't consider this part unsuitable. The press suggested many reasons for Volochkova's behaviour - starting with "status" questions and finishing with her poor abilities (first of all, poor jump) to perform the part.

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for that, Tatiana. In olden times (until 20 years ago or so :wub: ) Myrtha was a ballerina role wherever "Giselle" was danced, the "classical" as opposed to the "Romantic" (or, in France and Denmark, "demicaractere" role). But now, I suppose it is looked at as the Second Rate role -- sad that that's the case even in Russia. If the Bolshoi were making a good faith effort to use Volochkova and really do not have a single man taller than 5 foot 10 or so (don't know that in centimeters, sorry) it's hard to think of a better role for her than Myrtha.

I'm sure there will be more chapters of this story...... :wub:

#20 Arak

Arak

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 04:41 PM

And the saga continues... :rolleyes:

What a diva. If I were in the position of having been rehired after being fired, I'd be happy being put in the corps de ballet. I don't care who "made" them rehire me; I'd simply be happy to have a paying job. I guess some people's priorities just lie in different areas.

#21 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 01:24 PM

And some people's opinion of themselves are very high indeed.

She should be happy they are giving her anything to dance at all. If I were the new director coming in I'd be sure to move her to the end of the casting list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):