37 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 09:22 AM

50 percent is very good! ;) I remember B. Moore from the age of 13 or so and was sorry I didn't see her adult career. She was a tiny dancer -- incredibly (naturally) slender and short -- and then suddenly she grew a bit, and started dancing on pointe, and the combination made her about a foot taller. So when she was young, she danced like a small girl who didn't realize she was tall. She was in ABT for awhile before going to Birmingham.

I wish there was a Kathleen Moore video! She was one of my ballet heroines. A beautiful classical dancer, in my book, though she seldom got to do those roles. She danced in an old-fashioned style; she was trained, if I'm remembering correctly, by a Ballet Russe teacher and it showed. Beautiful arms, very musical, soft dancing. And was the best American character dancer I've ever seen. I keep waiting to see her name turn up on a list of coaches and stagers -- I can't imagine she could be less than first rate at that, too.

#17 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 02:24 PM

Yes, folks, I do watch those old video tapes and I have found that I always come back to just two of them - viewing now rationed a bit, must make new copies.
"Tzigane" with Farrell and Martins and "Giselle" with Maximova and Vassiliev. Then, there was another one, sadly deleted by accident, not for the dancing, but for the production. It was done in a technique called chromakey (I might be spelling it wrongly), but it was done only for TV by Birgit Cullberg. Old posters might remember that I am not a great fan of neither Cullberg nor Ek.
But this was called "Red wine in green glasses" and it was really beautiful - the dancers were in real life crawling about on a pale blue floor and these images were then superimposed on paintings depicting green foliage. The result was that the dancers seemed to be dancing among the leaves in the treetops. Great stuff and I am very sorry indeed that it has disappeared. Anybody heard about or seen this TV ballet?

#18 djb

djb

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:28 PM

Wow! Where did you come across Maximova and Vasiliev in "Giselle"? I'm sure it's not commercially available, at least not now, but I'm curious.

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 08:32 PM

djb, isn't there a bit of "Giselle" -- second act pas de deux? -- on one of those "Great Moments of the Bolshoi" tapes? It struck a bell with me -- but I can't for the life of me remember WHICH one. (I only saw them at the very end of their careers, when they were well into their 50s, at a little chamber performance here and they still made everyone else on the stage look like they were made of cardboard.)

#20 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:56 AM

Alexandra,
Concerning K Moore, the only time i saw her dance a "classical" role was when she danced the jilted bride(?) in Snow Maiden. I thought she was wonderful in the PDD in the last act.Didn't she dance Hagar?
Joe

#21 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:01 AM

This is what the library says about "Red Wine in Green Glasses" :

Produced for television by Sveriges Radio-TV 2. Director: Måns Reuterswärd. Choreography: Birgit Cullberg. Music: Ludwig van Beethoven (Piano concerto no. 3 in C minor, first movement). Costumes: Ulla Malmer-Lagerkvist. Danced by Mona Elgh and Niklas Ek of the Cullberg Ballet. Summary: Pastoral pas de deux inspired by the 18th century Swedish poet Bellman danced by a cavalier and his lady before a background of 18th century landscape paintings by Watteau, Fragonard, and Brueghel (through use of the chromakey filming technique).

#22 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:06 AM

Joe, I'm remembering Kathleen Moore from her time in thie corps. I think the biggest classical role I ever saw her do was one of Aurora's "Maids of Honor" in Sleeping Beauty, but I liked her dancing a lot, especially the arms. Yes, she did Hagar, and a lot of other "character" or acting roles.

#23 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:30 AM

These old tapes are addicting! I stumbled onto a interesting interlude. I thought Tudor had choreographed "Fall River Legend" so I put it on my Tudor DVD. De Mille! The ballet was danced by Dance Theatre of Harlem and was so enjoyable. Now in a de Mille mode I proceeded to a biographical program titled "Agnes the Indomitable de Mille". What a wonderful program! De Mille was her fascinating self, there were snippets of "Fall River Legend" with Nora Kaye and John Kriza (sigh), and (even better) snippets from "Bloomer Girl", my favorite musical from my youth. "Sunday in Cicero Falls", "When the Boys Come Home". With all the restagings of musicals I've always wondered why "Bloomer Girl" was never among them; anyone have any ideas?

Nora Kaye was better than I remembered her, but then I saw her when I was young and her dramatic roles were not my favorites.

Giannina

#24 Watermill

Watermill

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:08 PM

Speaking of old tapes and DeMille...
Anyone conversant enough with Frederick Wiseman's documentary film Ballet to know what ballet Ms DeMille is working on? Who's the ballerina? Was it Ms. DeMille's last piece of work?
Always wondered...
Oh...and someone last year asked who the newly hired dancer was. Did we ever find out?
Thanks in advance.
Watermill

#25 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:19 PM

Watermill,
I think it was Beloved and it was her last ballet w/ABT. That was Amnda Mckerrow.I don't know who the newly hired dancer was.
Joe

#26 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 03:23 PM

The library's handy website says the following:

Contents Dance excerpts on cassette 1: among the ballets seen in rehearsal in New York are: The other / choreography, Agnes de Mille ; music, Franz Schubert ; danced by Amanda McKerrow and others ; de Mille is assisted by Terrence S. Orr -- La bayadère / choreography, Natalia Makarova after Marius Petipa ; music, L. Minkus ; footage includes Makarova coaching Cheryl Yeager, and Irina Kolpakova coaching Susan Jaffe -- Serious pleasures / choreography, Ulysses Dove ; music, Robert Ruggieri -- Firebird: berceuse / choreography, Michel Fokine, staged by Nicholas Beriozoff ; music, Igor Stravinsky -- Raymonda, Act III / choreography, Fernando Bujones after Petipa ; music, Aleksandr Glazunov ; footage includes variations danced by Christine Dunham and Susan Jaffe, the latter coached by Georgina Parkinson -- Symphonic variations / choreography, Frederick Ashton, staged by Michael Somes ; music, César Franck ; rehearsal segments danced by Cynthia Harvey, Sandra Brown, Ashley Tuttle, Ethan Brown ; Somes is assisted by choreologist Wendy Walker -- Rite of spring / choreography, Glen Tetley ; music, Igor Stravinsky.
Dance excerpts on cassette 2: performance excerpts filmed at the Herod Atticus Theater, Athens, Greece, are: Bruch violin concerto no. 1 / choreography, Clark Tippet ; music, Max Bruch -- The sleeping beauty, Act III / choreography, Kenneth MacMillan after Petipa ; music, Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky ; includes Red Riding Hood and the Wolf, Aurora's variation, coda of the grand pas de deux -- Symphonic variations [see credits above] -- Rite of spring [see credits above] -- Performance excerpts filmed at the Royal Theater, Copenhagen, Denmark: Romeo and Juliet: balcony pas de deux, bedroom pas de deux / choreography, Kenneth MacMillan ; music, Sergey Prokofiev ; danced by Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocca.

#27 djb

djb

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 06:53 PM

Alexandra, Maximova does appear on one of the Bolshoi excerpts tapes in the 2nd act pdd from "Giselle," but not with Vasiliev. I don't recall who her partner was.

#28 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:55 AM

in response to a couple of the points brought up in this thread:
1] the ballet being prepared by demille in wiseman's docu. was, if mem. serves THE INFORMER credits below.
2] there is an very lush excerpt of maximova and vasiliev in GISELLE (act 2) - it's in part 2 of peter schaufuss's "Dancer" television series, it concludes the episode called 'Double Work' and was likely filmed especially for the program.
hope this helps.

here are the INFORMER credits:

Informer : Chor: Agnes de Mille; mus: Celtic tunes arr. by Marc Blitzstein, Martha Johnson, John Morris & Trude Rittman; lib: after the Liam O'Flaherty book; scen & cos: Santo Loquasto; lighting: Jennifer Tipton. First perf: Los Angeles, Shrine Auditorium, Mar 15, 1988; American Ballet Theatre.//First New York perf: Metropolitan Opera House, May 10, 1988; American Ballet Theatre.

Alas there are no credits given in the NYPublic Lib for the Perf. Arts/Dance Collection for the DANCER series.

#29 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:59 AM

Maximova and Vasilev also appear in exerpts from Nutcracker in Part II of the Footnotes series (watched it yesterday, co-incidentally).

Giannina

#30 Watermill

Watermill

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:39 AM

Beloved, The Other, The Informer... Wow, this piece has more names than a phone book! I'm guessing rg has the correct info on this.
RG: was it her last work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):