This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Russian National Ballet

The following post apparently disappeared into the ether:

The "Tchaikovsky Ballet and Orchestra" -- the name under which the Perm State Theater Ballet will be touring the US this winter -- claims to have 125 dancers and musicians on board.

The following post apparently disappeared into the ether:

The "Tchaikovsky Ballet and Orchestra" -- the name under which the Perm State Theater Ballet will be touring the US this winter -- claims to have 125 dancers and musicians on board.

Oh...............I was just wondering about that. I've been eyeing going to a Sleeping Beauty in March at Lehmann College in the Bronx. Actually I was just looking at the caledar of the college to see if it was the Russian National Ballet today.

So the Tchaikovsky is the Perm State. I may try to make the MArch 6 date for the Beauty.

To confuse me further (easy) I have a note on my calendar for the a Swan Lake

real close to where I live in NJ. That one is going under the name Perm State. It's tempting for two reasons; I might find Makarova's version more to my liking that the two on show in NYC and it's a 10 minute drive.

But thanks for the lowdown Bart. I wonder why they go under different names as they move around.

Richard

For those planning to attend the Russian National Ballet, here are some reviews of recent performances, posted by dirac in the LINKS section.

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=21517

Skip down a few posts for the next link -- http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=21527

Comparison of American and Russian technique is interesting:

QUOTE: "You also saw it in the dancers' demeanor and nearly flawless technique.

"They were calmer and more reserved than Americans, who tend to interject a swagger into even the most classical choreography. There was the slightest hint of old-fashioned softness and gentility.

"Elbows were a bit sharper and more pointed, and the female dancers used their wrists more.

"And there were slight pauses between every movement that were a bit more exaggerated than you normally see in the United States. Pirouettes took a second to set up, and arabesques held on for a breath longer.

"The slight pauses served beautifully to showcase the stunningly clean, crisp technique that never faltered in the more than two-hour performance.