This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"A Fancy 40th" October 8-12

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 02:24 PM

hi.......i just finished watching the Sat. matinee performance of "Fancy 40th" and wow! I am wondering also why it was not sold to th max as it was a memorable program with great dancing.
I am going back tonight and tomorrow too! :clapping: Concerto Barocco was danced like silk with beautiful musicality from all. Yes, it was well rehearsed, GWTW. And yes, my dancing daughter at PAB made a similar comment regarding 4T's sans Ms. Jennings. She felt it would have been a stronger performance with Sandy's rehearsal hand. (She has danced it before with Sandyat PAB as rehearsal ballet mistress) But I was drawn in by performances of the themes in this cast, particularly Ms. Chamberlains 3rd theme. She would not have been a likely choice for me yet her elan and expression were lovely as well as captivating. More later on 4 T's. Fancy Free was a highlight and a sheer delight to see this company dance. It is a ballet classic and well suited to this group. The guys were terrific in character and their dancing was clear and technically 'on'. As the gals, Keating and Lorenzo both did top performances with each of their characters as well as Reffner at the end (whose arms were so fluid they were mesmerizing, not to mention how gorgeous she looked!)

what a great day at the ballet......if you are in any proximitiy....get a ticket now!!! There are two shows left........ :thumbsup:

#17 fLexNpOinte

fLexNpOinte

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 05:18 PM

:party: I saw the Sunday matinee. I LOVED IT! Of course I am partial to the Pennsylvania Ballet because they are the ballet company of my home state, but it was truly spectacular. Concerto Barocco is one of my favorite ballets and Ms. Aldridge and Ms. Ochoa did a brilliant job! Their technique and stage presence were immaculate. :wink: I also loved the Four Ts especially at the end when the entire cast danced together in a captivating finale! Fancy Free was hilarious and executed brilliantly. Ms. Lorenzo's solo was captivating (not to mention her beautiful arches were visible even in character shoes). Ms. Keating was so much fun to watch as the "sailors" fought for her affection. Ms. Reffner's solo ended the piece at the perfect note. All of the dancers really portrayed the part and I truly got a sense of what it would have been like if I was alive back in the 1940s. I couldn't stop laughing. I came out of the ballet feeling inspired. I cannot wait to see Dracula in November!!! :unsure:

#18 Doris R

Doris R

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:08 PM

I know I'm a little late jumping on the bandwagon -- but I haven't been on line much lately.

We went to the Saturday evening and Sunday matinee shows. Saturday we were in the orchestra. This was my first time seeing Concerto Barocco. It was a dream. The principals were lovely and the corps was so beautiful and precise. (Of course the Bach didn't hurt either.) Sunday from the second balcony was great too, I love being able to watch the patterns from above. Amy Aldreidge, Arantxa Ochoa and Meredith Rainey were a delight on Sunday.

Four T's has never been a favorite of mine -- I think its the impassive faces. I know that is the way it should be -- but its always bothered me. That said, I was captivated this time. I found that because the faces were so unemotional I actually watched the movement more. It was danced with such wonderful precision. I really enjoyed this ballet.

Fancy Free -- another first for me! What fun -- three sailors on the town, and three pretty girls to flirt with them. I enjoyed both shows, but thought the Sunday matinee had a bit more energy -- maybe because it was the last performance of the show. Its so nice to see the guys have a chance to shine and on Sunday particularly the girls seemed to really enjoy their flirty moves. Its hard to believe that this ballet is nearly 60 years old.

It was a fun weekend watching a beautiful company. Now .... on to Dracula.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):