This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

MET season

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 05:33 AM

I think there's also something else working here, and that is Kevin MacKenzie's sense of fair play and nice guy-ness. Casting former NYCB dancers for a Balanchine festival when the other guys are right across the plaza might be interpreted by some as a ballet company version of "Neener, neener, neener!" On tour, it would be something else, but at Lincoln Center, it's a different ballfield.

#47 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, God forbid Kevin should cast dancers who actually have a clue what they're doing out of deference to his much, much richer competition. That would certainly make for a level playing field between the companies.

I do think after a rocky start ABT's Symphony in C became quite respectable, although I never got used to the applause at every lead's entrance.

I shudder at the thought of what Balanchine we'll see P*l*m* H*rr*r* tackle. Since McKenzie seems to cast her in everything, even when she's clearly phoning it in, I guess we'll find out.

Sigh.

I do think that even if Murphy is actually the right height for Stiefel to partner, he's a bit slight for her (she's a big, strong girl), and not known for his great partnering skills. (I am still astonished that McKenzie cast him to partner Meunier in 3rd Mvt. Symphony in C, even though they never actually performed together). On the other hand, Murphy looks just perfect with Hallberg.

#48 Thalictum

Thalictum

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:37 AM

Anyway, I don't think Scouts Honor and Mr. Nice Guy traits last too long after anyone assumes directorship.

But McKenzie probably is not able to shout down the senior ABT performing personnel who in all likelihood do not want Part and Meunier on stage.

#49 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:57 AM

There's also the Ranieri-instigated enforcement of the exclusivity clause of their contract with the Fokine Estate that's left a bad taste in everybody's mouth. And the Movado move didn't help their reputation. Believe me, ABT can't afford to offend too many more people. There aren't that many left undisgruntled. I am still convinced of Kevin's personal benevolence, but perhaps he may be too much of a nice guy.

#50 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 04:08 PM

We deleted a post on this thread that went over our "no gossip, please" line and I thought it might be time for a gentle caution that something learned from a dancer, or family member, or backstage person, etc. isn't news; if it's not in print, or a statement from one of the indiviudals involved, it's gossip. Thanks.

#51 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 05:52 PM

Yeah, God forbid Kevin should cast dancers who actually have a clue what they're doing out of deference to his much, much richer competition.

Actually, you've hit the nail a glancing blow, I think. In this Napoleonic Business Climate, where the ethos is not, "take no prisoners", but "the hell with prisoners, take over the whole thing!" ABT could be facing a situation which Joffrey was having regularly to fend off - the idea that his company should be annexed by ABT, making it sort of an "American Wing" of the older, larger company. The older company, could, conceivably, be annexed by the economic juggernaut of NYCB! I wonder if the board members of ABT have sufficient fortitude to withstand the proffer of a "buyout" to become the "touring wing" of City Ballet?

#52 Petite_Arabesque

Petite_Arabesque

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 07:26 PM

GOT MY BROCHURE!! :wink:

May 10th to July 3rd

Full-lengths:
Swan Lake
Raymonda
Romeo and Juliet
Don Quixote
Coppelia
La Bayadere

And they have two repertory programs--one Contemporary meets the Classic (Pillar of Fire and Within you without you), and the other is A Tribute to Balanchine (Theme and Variations, Tchaikovsky pdd, Mozartiana, Ballet Imperial).

Looks like they're aiming to please everyone!

p.s. Looks like they are casting Wiles and Hallberg in a number of principal parts--I especially notcied they are doing Swan Lake together.

~*~Carmen~*~

#53 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 12:08 AM

The 2004 Met season brochure is available at:

http://www.abt.org/p...ochure_2004.pdf

But a more up-to-date schedule is here (the second rep. program is round out with...the poorly received Kylian from the C.C. season, but there are still TBAs):

http://www.abt.org/p...information.asp

#54 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:43 AM

Wouldn't the (ahem) Ethical Thing have been to include Les Sylphides, after having asserted their legal dibs on that ballet during Cuba's visit? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):